Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Check this out

A

anne-marie

After reading some of Bookie's posts in the sick axie threads, I started thinking - is it really an axolotl she's got or something else. So I was Googling to see if there are axolotls in Japan (surprisingly, there are) and found this umm - Care? sheet.

It's obviously translated - that's okay. Any comments about the last instruction???

www.hi.hkg.ac.jp/_liken/eng/axolotl.html

V

vanessa

if your talking about pricking the axies stomach with the needle thing well, i hope that nobody has ever actually done that because woulnt that kill them? it would be like having axie kebabs.yuk!lol
smile6.gif

D

denise

what i found strange is how many axies this recommends you can fit in a tank. i thought it seemed a bit excessive

B

bookie

wow...heheh..to tell the truth i didnt know what it was till my dad had an idea. but it was love at first sight...

J

joan

"3.The surroundings of anus of the male are huge." That made me chuckle.

C

cynthia

I have heard stories of people doing that to sheep when they are bloated... but I thought that was all folklore.
uhoh.gif

G

grant

I raise hogs and have experience with sheep and cows and that practice actually is used lol. It seems strange but the reason it is used on sheep and cows (not pigs!) is because of the ruminant digestive system and the way it breaks down the foods can produce an excess of gas which due to some problems can't escape from a "chamber" so they just poke it open and release it. If that isn't done the animal has a good chance of dying so it is necessary. I have NO idea why anyone would do that on an axolotl because they are so delicate and I would think it would be near impossible to do that without severe complications and bacterial infections. Pretty funny though lol.

A

anne-marie

Is there a special instrument they use to do that?

Man, I would love to live on a farm!
love.gif
. I'm not too keen on getting up early though. Raising livestock would be great but how about the slaughter? Is that a job you have to do, Grant?
sad.gif

J

joan

They just cut it open and insert a valve. You would hate raising livestock. Stinky, sweaty, itchy, horrible work. But rewarding. I don't do any of the slaughter part. I don't mind eating dead animals, but killing them myself kind of gives me some worries, karma and all.

N

nathan

Hey I got a tractor no life stock yet though and today were getting a bush basher (old crappy car) to ride around in, should be fun well here is the tractor:
40139.jpg
40140.jpg

40141.jpg

S

stacy

I could do with one of those tractors. That is to just clean out my daughters bedroom

S

sharyl

I came across that sheet before too. I imagined a lot of very earnest young teenage Tokoyo science club members sitting around with big pins waiting to deflate their poor floating axies. Since mine float when they eat too big a bite of dried tubifex (that one was my fault and was our first meal together!) and also after biting at the bubbles in the air stone, I shudder to think of it all. It didn't seem promising to get new info out to them though-do you think? They must be looking at us too, if we are looking at them, right? Hopefully they see good info but probably need something that says "Don't poke with pin."!

G

grant

Well to answer Anne's question, I actually don't live on a farm but my family owns a walnut orchard with some barns and stuff. Raising livestock is great stuff. I really enjoy it and have been into agriculture my whole life; however, it is a lot of hard work, very time consuming, and often requires working late and waking up early. But it is a very unique experience that you really can't get anywhere else. And I do not personally do any slaughtering just because it would be to big of a hassle and it is much easier to just sell the animal and have whoever purchased the animal just pick it up in neat little packages from the butcher.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!