New axolotl!!

V

vanessa

I've got my self a beautiful Melanoid axolotl named Kuro Ryu. He's well and he's a big boy at the length of 20cm and growing. I feed him Meal Worms and he's funny with them too. Got shots of him but they're not great pics so I'm going to get clearer shots of him with the newer camera. I was like... 'I hope mum knows I want a black axie, a boy.' then she comes out of the shop and says 'I've got the blackest one out of the tank.' while I was peering into the bag to see whether it's a boy or girl but only saw pale toe tips so I was pretty excited then got home and after 15 mins I released him into the tank and looked at his cloaca and got SO excited, I said 'Yay! I got a boy!!!'
Two days later I noticed he got a pale left eye which looks a little cloudy while the right eye is perfectly black.

Hi Vanessa, that clouded eye sounds sort of like fungus or an infection. I hope others can help you on this, I don't really know what to do. Also, I have a black Axie, his name is Grimace Gargamel
happy.gif
I love him to bits! Hey post about the infected eye in the Sick axie forum. I know others will be able to help you
happy.gif

the cloudy eye sounds like it could be flaking skin. Could be from the stress of moving, or due to excess nitrates, or ammonia or nitrite in the tank.
i find flakey skin is most noticable on melanoids, as they go a grey color. Give him a few salt baths and it should clear up. Also check your ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels, and do water changes if neccesary.

Cloudy eye can also be caused by diet. I would highly recommend NOT feeding him a steady diet of mealworms, as they are too fatty. Check the axolotl.org site for better food ideas.

Thanks! I'll try and find other non-pollution food. I'll give him salt bath to take care of that flaky skin. It's already a bit grey.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back