Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sadly i have to inform you that my little fella died last night

P

paul

Last night i saw my little fella trying to dig in the gravel with his head, and about 10 mins later he was dead. I am thinking that maybe he ate a rock. I dont have fine sand or anything, i have small pebbles (about 1cm dia). he was healthy in all respects befor this and all water tests were near perfect. temp was 16 degrees. I am going to get another one this weekend though.

R

rheann

I'm sorry to hear that Paul
sad.gif
Good luck with your new little friend when you get it. Losing animals is always so very difficult. Best of luck to you.

D

dev

Really sorry man my crayfish died 5 minutes ago, I know how you feel

A

anne-marie

I'm sorry to hear that.

It would be a good idea to make sure the water quality is good before rushing out and getting another axy. How long did you have your axolotl for before it died? Was it eating? Was it skinny?

P

paul

i have had my axie for about 4-5 months or so now, he was about 8 inches long but only about as thick as a large thumb. he was only about half as thick as some i have seen that are the same length (but he was still getting longer as time passed)he used to eat every day and sometimes 2 a day. i fed him a variety of food, axolotl pellets, frozen bloodworms and earth worms. he loved all of these. i noticed that he didnt eat the day before he died. i change about 15 - 20% of his water weekly, and water tests also weekly. I am at a loss to work out what killed him. i think i will scrub the tank and re-cycle it before re-stocking it.

thank you to all of your sympathies. i really liked my little fella. we went through alot together. the day i got him was the first time that i knew anything about him. in fact if you go through my first posts you will discover how little i knew. I was going to put him inot my fish tan with the other fish. then at the last minute i htought i had better check out on the internet how they live. i found this site luckly.

again thanks for the kind words and i will be back bigger and better than ever.

A

anne-marie

"i think i will scrub the tank and re-cycle it before re-stocking it." Thats a good decision, Paul. It sounds like he could have had a systemic infection of some type to die that young, be skinny and yet still eat. You sound as if you're doing the right things, care wise. Good luck with your next one
happy.gif
- choose a healthy looking fella - no sympathy buys please.

V

vanessa

Hey!! My two Dragoons died after 4 weeks! 1st one because mum bought tank and axie in one day in two weeks before Chrissy. Dragoon II because fungual disease came back after it killed my sweet little Dragoon. But I've stood my tank for 6 weeks now and my Kuro Ryu will be coming in next week after I put in crushed coral. Sorry about your loss of your axie.

P

paul

I took a gamble with buyng the axie that i did. I got him from a stall at the flemington markets. there were about 4 or 5 in a 1 foot tank. they were all the same size, but as i didnt know anything about them, i thought this to be normal. I now know a lot more about them and i will be a bit more selective about the next one. thanx for your thoughts and well wishes.

C

cynthia

Vanessa - I don't think you want to use crushed coral as a substrate for axolotls. It will raise the ph of your water and it is kind of sharp.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1