How smart are they?

J

james

I haven't got any Axolotls yet, but I want to, and I'm just curious how smart they actually are

Well... I'm going to test them when I get Kuro Ryu and Drakken (mum's axolotl- name's welsh). Then maybe I might be able to get something out of 'em.

I'd say they are about the equivalent of pretty much any like sized amphibian. They aren't "intellectual" they run basically off of instinct. But, they do develope "tastes" for example they may become very fond of one food while they dislike another.

Interesting - I don't know how you'd test an axolotls IQ. But you can hand train them to take food. I thought IQ was linked to the number of folds in the brain which increases surface area - so if they got lotsa folds, they're pretty smart. Somehow, I don't think amphibians need much more than instinct and the cute factor to get by in captivity.

(Message edited by waltona on June 16, 2005)

Well, mines a moody little bugger. So I would have to say they are switched on to an extent.

He knows the bubbles tickle his belly, he knows how to hand feed, he knows the smell of my hand and loves to nuzzle me.

Yep, thats smart enough for me.

My white one likes to come to the surface and poke his little muzzle out of the water and look at me
happy.gif
he will do it for some time too, hoping I will drop some food in, or just wants to look at me. Then he'll lower his head a bit and continue to watch me. My wild Type knows who I am and will come up to the glass begging for treats or food. He's also really greedy when it comes to food, and will snap so viciously when the food comes near him. he's nipped my fingers a couple of times, even the turkey baster when I am just cleaning out uneaten food or waste. As far as inteligence, I would have to say they are pretty smart for such little guys in my opinion
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back