How long until I know what sex my axie is?

G

grant

I was just wondering if anyone knows "about" how long until or if I already can tell what sex my axie is. He is about 7 1/2 inches long but doesn't have the black finger tips yet. He is a golden albino and I have no idea how old he is. Right now he looks just like the female on this site but if he is a male will the "buldge" develop?

Geez I wish you guys would go metric! Your axie should be almost adult I think from that size so if theres no bulge by now, it's probably a she. Also, I think being an albino she probably wont have black tips???

Ok thanks, but I'm pretty sure they get black tips but I'm not sure.

That is so true Cynthia lol. But hey don't make fun of us because we aren't conforming like the rest of you!! lol.

i think they get black finger/toe tips even though they are albino because its caused by a hormone produced and i dont think it is pigment in the skin. not 100% sure though so please dont shout at me if im wrong.lol.

Grant - it can take a year or longer for an axie to become sexually mature and show signs of sexual dimorphism (have external features which show whether it is a male or female). if your axie is still growing then it could be a bit longer until it shows tell tale signs of being male. wait a few more months to make sure.
happy.gif

Yeppers, they get the black finger tips, even gold albinos. I have a female golden albino with black fingertips. As for size, mine is really petite and she is still matured, i dont think sex determination has much to do with size. Uma, my axie, has had the black fingertips since she was a little over six inches long.

Hope I helped, toodles!

Yea I have no idea how old mine is but she (i think) is about 7 1/2 inches so probably getting close to full size unless shes gonna be huge or something lol. I got her at about 6 inches so I have no idea how old she is or if it is even a she.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back