Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Pet store Axies, People think they are gross!

C

chris

How can I make my best impression for axies? how can I show the customer that they are cute. only sold 1 of 16 in 2 months!!! need help????

A

anne-marie

Have them well displayed, well fed and healthy. People generally get sucked in by the weirdness factor of axolotls, so play that up too. Also they are more interesting than fish as pets. I think they interact more with their owners and the hand-feeding aspect encourages this. Fairly cheap to set up - no heater required. One person I spoke to used to call them MIckey Mouses because she thought that was what they looked like - can't say I really agree, but there you go.

And another thing. One pet shop reported that, since the school term started and a teacher had axolotls in the classroom, they had sold more. Maybe try bribing teachers in your area?

(Message edited by waltona on June 01, 2005)

andrew

Reaction score
ADVERTISE! If i had know you had some i wouldn't have hade to ship mine all the way accross the country. Hey do you sell blackworms? Where are you located? Thanks

J

joan

Don't charge outrageous amounts! $50 is too much for an axolotl! But definately play up the weirdness factor, or the 'mexican walking fish' factor. Be exotic!

S

shane

yes calling them 'mexican walking fish'. as well as axolotls would be a good idea. none of my friends know what an axolotl is. "axo- huh?" but know exactly what a 'mexican walking fish' is. and i brought mine because it wasnt way to expensive, well.. mainly because they are so kool. lol.

C

chris

ok sounds good, andrew i thought i left a response to you if you wanted some im in ogden behind the newgate mall. The shop is called Tropical Encounters. I have them Priced at $24.99 for 4" albinos, golden, and leucistic. im converting a 55 gallon for them, I like the mexican walking fish idea! thanks for all the help andrew if you want any other "animals" let me know. also should i make a sign that says im not dead or something?

J

joan

I'm not dead, I'm just lazy? lol. If you've got the means, find like, an aztec-looking pyramid or ruins and put them in the tank. Tell people the history behind the name axolotl. Maybe put a little history on how they're now almost extinct in the wild.

C

chris

k got the aztec thing put mexican walking fish on the tank, well planted and decorated a couple of people listened and liked it but nothing still?

J

joan

Patience, young grasshopper. They'll come. Just keep playing them up like they're the coolest thing in the world (well, they are... so that part should be easy!).

A

anne-marie

What's the competition? Cute puppies and stuff or fish?

H

halszka

Axolotls in Perth sell for $12 to $17 aussie dollars, that's about $9 to $13 american dollars. US$25 is over AU$30.. I doubt I would have bought one for thirty bucks, but then I don't know the going rate for axolotls in the States

Maybe people prefer cheaper fancy fish? Anyway, good luck with the exotic pet angle tho. You should play it up with kids and parents, axolotls don't smell like mice, and interact more than fish, and don't make as much noise as birds
biggrin.gif

J

joan

Also heard that people usually buy something on the third time seeing it. So if you see the same people in there again, remind them about how cool they are.

R

rheann

Maybe try to tell people how cute they are and how they are curious and make exellent little friends as long as they are healthly and taken care of. Maybe put up some pictures you find online featuring axolotls that you just print off, or I can email you a couple of mine so you can post up
happy.gif
Back when I was living in montana, i took little notice in them when I first saw them which was a few years ago, but since I have seen pictures of them and got to know about them, I have fallen inlove with the little guys! Having them as little friends is so wonderful
happy.gif
and also provide care sheets for them so that the people buying them will have an idea of proper care as they require cool water and earthworms for nuitrition. I hope this helped a bit
happy.gif

N

natasha

Halszka, where have you seen axies in Perth that cheap? I have not seen them under $20, I would be interested to know. Do you know of anywhere that sells earthworms here? other than the farms at bunnings or kmart that my axie won't eat.

V

vanessa

I don't think axolotls are gross. When I showed my friend pictures of my Dragooni (deceased), she went "Eugh! That's gross!" and I was like... "But axies are cute!! My Dragooni's only a baby " (Except I think he's mature)

H

halszka

I found my first axie, an albino, at High Road to Pets, on High Road in Willetton, for $12. Now that pet shop sells albinos and goldens for $17 and wild types for $12. That's the cheapest I've found though, and you're right, most places won't sell for less than $20. I paid 20 for my golden from Pet Magic in Cannington, and the thing that spins me out the most is that both seem to have been bred and raised by Anne-Marie
lol.gif

J

joan

I think they look better as adults. When mine were juveniles, they had these huge gigantic heads with these little tiny bodies. They look severely out of proportion.

pete

Reaction score
Another good selling point is the regeneration capabilities. (Not that people should try it intentionally.) But it's a cool aspect of their biology. It's also one of the many reasons I wanted to buy one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1