Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Swimming Around Alot

V

vanessa

i was just wondering is it normal for axies to swim around the tank really fast. i got a new axie the other day and he is kinda skinny compared to my other 3. in the morning from about 6-9 he seems to swim around the tank alot, really fast. i dont know if this is normal cause my other axies seem so relaxed and they hardly ever swim around they just walk along the bottom. he also seems to take alot more gulps of air than my other axies. i read on axolotl.org that a cause of swimming around fast is skin irritation due to parasites if so should i give him a salt bath just in case, but this is if they are thrashing around and im not sure thats what hes doing. good thing i put him in quarrantine cause if he does have something wrong with him he could of affected my other axies.

A

anne-marie

Between 6am and 9am - sounds like when people start arriving at the pet shop for work and maybe feeding time for axies? It doesn't sound like anything serious. Is he eating - if so, that's good. Definitely keep him in quarantine for a period though.

C

cynthia

The salt baths are good I would keep them up for a few days just to be safe.

The fast spastic swimming could be a sign that something is irritating the skin or gut. I noticed one of mine doing it on and off for a few days then it spit up a large rock.

V

vanessa

thanks for the advice guys i will start giving him salt baths just in case. he is eating i am trying to feed him more than my others, but not so much as to put to much ammonia/nitrite/nitrates in the water, cause he is really thin, but ill soon fatten him up. when i got him he was the most healthy looking axie they had but he was still wasnt that crash hot, his colour is really pretty though, he is like those brown axies in the axie gallery but with alot more gold spotts. i felt really sorry for the other axies though because they were really miserable looking, although there were spermetaphores in the tank i got him from, there were only males in there so there was no possibly pregnant female.

S

sharn

my babies used to do that (when they were about 10cm) they used to zoom around the tank all the time. there wasnt anything wrong with them. i thought it was normal though, young things always have lots of energy!! salt baths wouldnt hurt though

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1