Goldfish?

C

claire

i know this has nothing to do with axies but i have two golfish from a fair and was just wondering how long they live for because ive had them for around 6 years and they are in great health.

if anyone knows anything id appreciate it
happy.gif

thanks in advance!

Well, goldfish can live for 30+ years easy under the right conditions. Koi (a very close relative) can live for a VERY long time. The oldest koi ever recorded is approximately 230 years old, and still swimming. If they are allowed to reach full size, around 12-18 inches, and kept in good health, I'd expect they would be around for a very long time indeed.

well my goldfish wont grow that big i dont think. they are the ones you get from fairs...you know..the ones that usually die within a week.lol. they are around 3 inches in length and dont seem to be growing any more.actually ill show you a pic of them when i cleaned them out. i have to put them in the bathroom sink when i clean them out! bless them.
36039.jpg

36040.jpg

the one in the last pic loves me! they are a funny pair of fish!

That is just the cutest!! LOL I used to work for a petshop and when those little traveling carnivals would come to town they would clean us out of feeder goldfish. So I know what you mean. I think its awesome they have lived so long for you!

yes, goldfish size is very limited by space, and lifespan is limited by size, If they are around 3 inches, and have stopped growing, I'd expect them to live 2-3 years, maybe a little longer if you take really good care of them.

Agreed with the above. Considering the age they are now they are very small(stunted). I have some of about the same age which are now reaching 8 inches. I bet they could have grown much faster if they were fed regularly in the pond.

If you want them to grow and do well I'd reccomend a larger tank for them to stretch in.

(Message edited by fishkeeper on May 14, 2005)

Yep -- goldfish need LOTS of room, and a very good filter system. I upgrade my tank sizes for my goldfish as they grow. I have 3 common gf that were under 1" two years ago, and are now around 7" long. I have had gf grow up to 12", but could not upgrade their tank size at the time, so gave them to a friend that had a wonderful outdoor pond. My goal is to have "monster" goldfish, so it will soon be upgrade time.
happy.gif

I use the large canister filters for my gf tanks (Rena Filstar), w/live plants, and added oxygen (bubble wand). They also appreciate a variety of foods, including vegetables, and oranges!

Yea goldfish can get huge. A person gave my girlfriend a goldfish at her work like a couple days ago, the fish is at least 10 inches long. I thought it was a koi or something then I looked at it lol. And just a completely random side comment someone brought in a Red Eared Slider (turtle) into my girlfriends work, it is 25+ years old and is so big it wont fit in a 5 gallon bucket.

Pretty standard size/age for sliders. I'd guess it's female. Females can easily attain a 12 inch shell length, males being a few inches shorter. Both are averages, however, and can be larger/smaller by a few inches. With proper care, lifespan is 35+ years, with turtles in their 50's not being uncommon. Unfortunately, most people don't care for them properly, and most die before seeing their second year.

Don't forget, goldfish are one of the kinds of animals that will grow according to the space they have. If you give them more room, they will grow bigger. If you put it in a 10 gallon aquarium it's not going to "outgrow" the aquarium.

Goldfish actually do outgrow their aquariums--that is if they haven't succumbed to poor water quality (which is usually the case). I "overfilter" the water (use bigger than recommended filtering systems) for my gf tanks. My gf keep growing no matter what size the tank. But I do upgrade the tank size as the get bigger. There are many types of goldfish, and some varieties that stay small. I have a small variety fantail that was not supposed to get larger than 3" (of course, I thought that was nonsense). This particular fish has only grown to 3" in the 2 yrs that I have had him, while the rest (different varieties) have gone bananas (6"+)Hmmm....

thanks guys. i now know the reason for my goldfish not growing.lol.ive got them in a little bowl and the water is not filtered and doesnt really get changed that often.lol.but they seem happy enough. they love their food though! they are always at the front of the bowl 'asking' for fod! bless them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back