Wierd bug things

S

sharn

Hi all. i have a question to ask. in my four foot tank i have tiny Y shaped things. they swim with the forked part in the Y. their swimming movement looks like small jerks and they are only about 1mm long. any ideas what these are? i only have it in their tank and if i shine a torch in the water i can see them if i look closly sometimes they rest on the glass. they havent caused any problems id just like to know whats living with my beloved pets!!

Sounds weird all right. Sorry, can't help you Sharn. But have you recently put in any new plants?

Thats a new one on me. Do you have a camera with a zoom powerful enough to get us a picture? I'll try and find any critters that match that description.

sorry dudes and dudettes, i havent got a camera. theyre wierd alright. they might have come in on an old plant. itd be cool if i found a new species of bug haha

I think they are mosquito larvae or something cause once i left some water outside with a log in it for about a week. we were soaking it so it would sink in the pond, anyway those little bugs which you are describing started to appear in the water. i thought they were mosquito larvae because i saw mosqitos laying eggs in there once. if they arent im pretty sure they are harmless cause our comets ate them and they are fine. i bet axie larvae would love them.
lick.gif

sharn.

if it looks like it really is anchor worms, there are a number of write-up re this problem.
go to the top of these screens and search for anchor worms, the search link is found just under the tail of the caudate on the top right and side of these screen.
looks for Anchor Worms for say the last 100 days and you will find there has been much discussion re treatment and identification.
hope this helps.

peter

i've had mosquito larve before, theyre not that. they sort of look like those anchor worms except the longest straight bit is about half that length. im pretty sure theyre not. there hasnt been any on my axolotls and they have no wounds at all, there is also no redness. there is absolutly no way they would be big enough for me to pick up with my hands, not even tweezers. peter you had me so scared! because i havent really seen a good picture of them before. they do look like good food for axolotl babies! but theyre about the same size if not a tiny bit bigger than a freshly hatched brine shrimp. thanks guys!

yeah they look like that, but white and without that tail thing between the V in the Y. and i cant see antennas either.what are they? theyre about 1mm long

They're cyclops. They probably have the other parts but you can't see them. They primarily eat small animals in the water such as smaller daphnia; they're not parasitic and are harmless in the tank.

i dont have daphnia in the tank.... wow now i have some new pets haha

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back