Shocking.. but holds merit

K

kyle

I was skimming through the amphib classifieds on king snake (I know tsk tsk) but I saw a couple posts for axolotls... the first was from Shrom, at his usual $9.

The second was from "Exotic Pets" and they were selling gold albinos and luecistics for $50! I was shocked at first, and I highly doubt this person will sell many, if any at all at this price. I thought about it though, and I was happy to see them for 50 bucks. Just think, if it was that much to get a hold of an axie, how much harder would people work on keeping them healthy. But if axies were commonly sold at 50 bucks, the amount sitting in pet shops would be pretty enormous because not as many people would buy them so oftenly.

Just thought I would share my findings, and see if any of you had an opinion.

i paid fifty for my golden buts thats only because they are really really rare in nz

I'm paying $25 Canadian for mine (after finally finding some here in Canada!), which was about half what I was expecting considering how rare they are here.

Brian - I am glad you finally found some.
happy.gif

One of my axolotls cost me $65.00 with shipping added into the cost.

The 2 that the local pet store ordered for me were $20.00 each.

Yeah, I'm getting a White, a GOld, and a Wild type, all of which will have a random cross gene. $100 after shippiing for the three, and they should be arriving by the end of the week. I'm so excited! I'll be posting pics of them and the tank once they are settled.

For example, You breed a gold and a white together. Baby's would come out either gold or white, but would potentially be able to produce offspring of the other colour. The guy I'm getting them from has lost track of what his animals' recessive colour traits are, so the babies I'm getting will have an unknown recessive trait. "Random cross gene" was a little vague, I appologize, but I wasn't quite awake yet.

My son was born with a random sock gene... they never match.

I have the solution to that one!

I only buy black, navy or cream socks - that way I have many 'pairs'....or 'nearly's' lol

My friend just had lots of babies and gave me mine for free, but my boyfriend paid $25 for his.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back