Got em!!!!!!!!

B

brian

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Sorry, just celebrating a bit. I got my axolotls today (pics to be posted later this week). A gold, an albino, and a melanoid who is a really nice dark coal-black. They are between 2 and 3 inches each. They are adorable!

There is an unfortunate bit about this. I got them at a reptile show (common things here in Canada and the States), and they were pretty crowded together. I don't think their conditions before that were much better. There are some injuries, most of which seem to have healed, although not regenerated completely. Despite this, and their hard day today, they seem to have settled in their tank quite nicely. No curled tails, and I've even seen the albino doing the "hanging out" thing.

I think they are really young. They all have legs, but don't seem to have any feet. Is this part of normal axolotl development, or have their little feet been nipped off? All of the ones at the show were like this. How quickly do their wounds actually regenerate?

Brian - I got 3 new little ones yesterday about the same size as you are describing yours. They too are missing some feet and legs. Young axolotls bite each other quite a bit. I put mine in individual tubs for now with a bit of salt.

Their little feet have probably been bitten off. They will grow back fairly fast if they don't keep biting each other. Usually in about 3 weeks you will see a pretty much fully regenerated foot and or leg.

I just posted pictures of my new axolotls in the gallery. Check out their "nubs".

Definitely nipped off Brian.....I've been studying my brood as they've developed and although the legs start off just as a single strand - almost immediately you can make out feet & toes

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back