What to feed 4cm axolotl

D

daniel

I'v got 2 4cm axolotls and i'v got live black worms and frozen blood worms form my local aquarium i was wondering how to feed them the live black worms i'v got an under gravel filter and gravel. And what else could i feed them at that size.

Thanks Dan

I fed mine frozen blood worms and newly hatched brine shrimp at that size.

Thanks Cynthia for the reply but would you or any one else now how to feed the live black worms when i'v got an undergravel filter!

You can try putting the blackworms into a dish in the tank, but they will still crawl out. During the time they are there, the axie might get some. Unfortunately, I would say that live blackworms and a tank with gravel are somewhat incompatible.

Be careful not to use a lot of blackworms, or you will get a huge population of them living under there and that would be bad for water quality.

would i be able to take the little axolotl witch arnt 4cm but 6-7cm out of the tank and put them into a small tub or bucket and feed them in there
instead of the tank

DAN

Yes, you could do that. If being moved around stresses out the axie, it might not be willing to eat though. Also, be sure to use its own tank water in the bucket.

This raises the question in my mind, however: why bother to keep the axie in the tank with gravel at all? You could just keep it in the bucket until it's old enough to eat a food that works in the tank with gravel. Below are 2 pictures showing how I keep my axolotls (which are now about 4-5 cm).

Sooner or later, if you plan to use the tank with gravel, you will have to teach the axies to eat other (probably non-live) food. The one that is 6-7 cm should be big enough to teach it to eat other food.

31805.jpg

31806.jpg

The only reason that I have gravel is because i have a under gravel filter and you need the gravel to use it as you no. I do have a aqua clear mini that i can use but it sit out of the tank and pour's the water into the tank form the top witch's make's lot of nose unless i have the water line right near the top of the tank.

Hear is a pitcure of the filter http://vivarium.cz/images/aquaclearmini.jpg
And if you say to keep them in a bucket what would i need to filter it?, or if i took out the gravel from the tank and just had the bear tank with a rock and fake plant

(Message edited by Ammu_188 on March 03, 2005)

When I keep them in a tubs, I remove all waste daily with a turkey baster, and I completely change them to a clean container every 3-4 days. No filter. A bare tank is also perfectly OK, a lot of people keep them that way.

If you already have the tank set up with the undergravel filter, I would say leave the tank alone and let it cycle. Meanwhile, either take the axie out for feedings, or keep it in a bucket with frequent water changes until it is a bit bigger and able to eat pellets or some other food that is easy to clean up.

Try adult brine shrimp for feeding at 4cm. Wash them first to get rid of the salty water and just plonk in the tank. You'll have great fun watching them snapping away.

I gave up on conventional undergravel filters years ago. I switched to a few reverse flow u.g. filters that work a little better and don't have some of the inherit problems of conventional u.g. filters. Now I don't have gravel in any of my tanks and use a variety of low flow filters with as much biological filtration as possible. No filter at all and an air stone is fine for a few small set ups. If you go filterless you must be attentive to cleaning and water changes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back