Axies do the death roll!

A

amy

i found when my axies were getting quite peed off with me fiddling around with their gills trying to tweeze out some anchor worms that they would actually roll over quite a few times in protest like crocodiles do while breaking off chunks of meat. does anyone know the purpose of this manouver in the wild for axies?
cheers

I thought crocodiles did it to drown their prey?
I know Seal sharks do it to rip off chunks of meat.

Does anybody elses suck their fingers? Amadeus seems to think its a fun thing to do when I am feeding them. I just make sure my hands are really clean!

I think axolotls probably do "the death roll" as a defensive move to escape predators.

I have seen a few younger ones do it when I was changing the water in their containers.

Ive found that small babies will do it, I think its in defence and Cythnia says.

My axolotl Milky Bar will bite and 'suck' my fingers everytime I go in the tank! Its very hard for her to give it up sometimes and I have to give her a nudge or two :D

Oh and one more thing Croc's do roll to tear the meat off of prey!

(Message edited by jigglypuff on January 23, 2005)

Heh does it feel funny if they suck your finger? Dragoon II basically sits and do nothing when I put my hand in to feed him or to tickle him but I'm going to try and train him to sit in my hand.

Hey pplz, i want to know some things, (1) how long can axiez stay out of water without dying? (2) how do u sign up for the forum? (3)how can u tell if it is a boy or a girl?

You should probably put ur questions in a more appropriate place if you want answers. BUT you should never take an axolotl out of the water unless moving it to another tank. You can sign up by scrolling up the page and clicking register and male axolotls when they reach sexual maturity will have an enlarged cloaca.

Thx Jarred,
Trent, the axie help section is organised into topics. If you wish to strt a new line of questioning (a thread) then simply go to the secttion you want and click start a new thread

Otherwise welcome and all you have to do is register....just check the headings they are on most pages...browse around too there's more to caudata than the axie help section.

Finally you'll find lots of questions have already been answered mnay times but don't be afraid to post again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back