Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What does your axolotl do when you tickle it?

V

vanessa

My Dragoon II actually slightly raise its head when I tickle it on the head. My 1st axie, Dragoon, doesn't do that though but he normally swims off really fast once I accidentially touched him on the tail.

J

joan

Touching your axolotls is a great way to rub off their mucous coating and introduce a fungal infection. If I remember, you've already had a problem with fungus. I would recommend not touching your axolotls unless it is REALLY necessary (and then you must do so with hands that have been thoroughly washed and rinsed at least twice to remove soap residue).

S

sharn

ouch!joan maybe she didnt no this....im not trying to offend you or anything.any how, some people talk about their axies being trained to sit on their hands. im not sure if touching is bad or not but if people on here train them to do such things it cant be too bad right?i dont touch mine cuz s/he doesnt let me unless its to bite my fingers at feeding time haha

B

brendan

Yes joan i agree with Sharn.

I have noticed you make a number of harsh remarks to other forums users.

Like everything, you gotta start somewhere and you sure as hell aint gunna start off by knowing everything. And heck... even the experts get things wrong sometimes.

I have read and been told that touching your axies can harm them but like everything if something doesnt like something they wont do it.

For instance if an axie doesnt like say crickets... they wont eat them. If they dont like going near a certain part of the tank they wont. If they like sitting on ur hand or rubbing up against you then they must like it and it must not do it harm.

Another instance if you have an allergic reaction to a certain body spray u soon realise not to use it. Just like axies they soon learn they dont like it.

So in my mind (and please dont give me strife for it) experts in some cases can be wrong because like EVERYTHING. EVERYONE including humans and animals are different you cannot compare one human or animal to another.

One human may like apples another may not
One axi may like worms another may not
One human may like touching rocks another may not
One axie may like touching human hands another may not

So please Joan please think before you fly off the handle at someone.

J

joan

I did not fly off the handle. I just informed her that touching your axolotl is a major contributor to fungal infections. It is not a matter of whether or not the axolotl likes to be handled. It is NOT a good idea to handle your axolotls for their own health.

C

cynthia

I don't think Joan flew off the handle, she just speaks directly, and to the point.

I think she is right, touching them is not a good idea. Touching them can damage the slime/mucous coating and that causes fungal infections.

B

brendan

Yes... 'CAN'damage... Doesnt mean it 'WILL'
Just like i 'CAN' drive a car... Doesnt mean i 'WILL'

And yes Joan didnt fly off the handle she did it in s subtle way. Its not what you say its how its said and how its worded.

S

shelagh

Ouch!
I don't touch mine deliberately, but both of them will make deliberate contact with me when I am feeding them. I have to say this worries me as I don't want to harm them, but one of mine will make a point of trying to sit on my hand when I am feeding them. I guess it would be more likely to harm him if I tried to stop him. However, I wouldn't try to pick them up

V

vanessa

Yeah... thanks for telling me... Dragoon II bit me when I tried get a piece of something out of the tank!

J

joan

Brendan, your axolotl WILL be damaged with excessive handling. Axolotls are very sensitive animals. They're not built for cuddling and playing. If you'd like an animal to cuddle and play with, I suggest going to the humane society and getting a rabbit or a kitten or something. Or some non-aggressive lizards.

J

joan

You must remember that axolotls absorb things into their skin, including things that are on YOUR skin: Soap, dirt, bacteria, chemicals from daily activities. They're like fish: you can look at them, but you can't really play with them. I understand you're still learning, and I hope you learn as much as possible to make your axolotls as comfortable as they would be in their natural habitat (minus the motorboats, chemicals, people, etc).

V

vanessa

Yeah... I'm not touching my Dragoon II but when I feed him he sometimes, on purpose touch me *laughs* he just wants more Brine Shrimps but I only feed him half a cube as the petshop guy said to me. I'll have to tell mum that cos she likes the soft skin of Dragoon II!!
nono.gif

B

brendan

Joan did i say i excessively handle my axie? NO.

I aint a bloody fool i know that "if you handle ur axies it will hurt them'

My axies are very comfortable they emmit no signs of stress, illness disease or uncomfort. I know enough to keep it that way.

I dont cuddle or play with my axies by touching them. I wriggle my fingers infront of the faces and make them chace my hand and make them walk over my bridge by this method. i told hold them in my hands or run my fingers over them for fun. The only times i have ever touched my axies are

1. When feeding i sometimes rub up against them or they to me.
2. To move them out of awkward places (for instance one got inbetween the bridge and the pipe and couldnt get out so i had to help it.
3. I rub lotty to see what the flakyness was.
4. I occasioanly accidently touch them on the nose when feeding

I'm not having a go at you joan i just dont like you assuming i do these things.

Also Vanessa on the note of brine shirmp my axies hate them...LOL. They love bloodworms though :D

J

joan

Brendan, if you're going to get defensive, then maybe you should take a breather. Your axolotls may not SHOW signs of stress, but that does not mean there is nothing wrong. You should not touch your axolotls at all. You should not put your hands in their tank (do you know how many bacteria live on your skin? Its gross! (not just you, but everyone has nasty sorts of beasties crawling on them)). I'm in the "don't ever handle your animals without due reason" boat. This includes ALL my caudates, not just the axolotls. If I don't have to touch them, I don't. You have already said you like to run your fingers over them for fun, yet then you go and say you have only touched them for those specific reasons. Very Contradictory.

Vanessa, have you tried using earthworms? Mine will eat nothing but! Much more healthy than brineshrimp too. If you could get your hands on some, I highly suggest them.

M

mik

Ok thats enough attitude on this page.

Joan's initial remark wasn't in any way excessive but things have degenerated since then.

Joan I would appreciate it if you would register...If you have good advice then we want to see it but we don't want discussions to degenerate like this. We want to keep a friendly and helpful air at all times.

Brendan, You have been here long enough to know better. I won't tolerate strong language in the axie forum and will take steps if see any again. There is no need to react so strongly simply explain your position and if there is nothing to add then let the thread evolve or complete itself. Moderators are here if you wish to complain or discuss something.

Note I have closed this thread to prevent further baiting. If you wish to continue or add something, in this thread, then contact me and I will consider opening the thread once more.

Now play nice and remember we all want the best for axies...

(Message edited by mikki on February 11, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1