Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axolotl keeper

B

brian

Hello all. I'm a new Axolotl keeper, but I've been keeping reptiles, amphibians, and fish since I was 4. I'm having a problem obtaining some axolotls. I live in Canada, and since they are CITES appendix II animals, I can't get any breeders to ship from the States, and there is a disturbing lack of breeders in Canada. Anybody know of any? Preferably in Ontario, the closer to Toronto the better.

My current plan for tank setup is a 33 gallon Hagen aquarium, with live plants and Exo-Terra Riverbed Sand substrate. How many individuals could I house comfortably in this tank? I'm aiming for 2-3. Does anyone see a problem with the riverbed substrate? Is there any issues with aggression between males (can I keep more than one male per tank?)

C

cynthia

Welcome Brian
happy.gif

Sorry I don't know of a source in Canada for axolotls.

I think 3 adults could live in a 33 gallon tank comfortably. I personally wouldn't house more than 4 in that size tank.

I looked up the exo-terra riverbed sand and it looks to be a good size.

I have heard that males can get a bit pushy with each other. But I personally have not encountered a problem in keeping more than one male in the same tank.

Mik keeps all males in one tank and all females in another. Perhaps mik can add some input on that?

J

jenny

i have two males in a tank and they are fine.

ive heard that they can be aggressive but with salamanders it seems to be pushed more that males are aggressive.

D

danny

Brian, you will find that in Canada you cannot find anything. Ive looked and looked and unless you know of someone who has a breeding pair, or if you make a trip to the USA then its going to be really hard acquiring axolotls/newts/salamanders.

B

brian

I know, it's really bad trying to find any amphibians up here. All of my standard contacts for Herps have had no luck finding me any (even my importer friends are saying I'm probably out of luck until spring). Everything trail I've followed has lead to a dead end, or a guy with what are obviously Tiger Salamander larvae. It's very frustrating.

L

leah

You should be able to get a permit for them. Check out the CITES website, and if you can't find the answer there give them a call. The permits are free and not hard to get. The only trouble may be if the breeder needs an export permit in addition to your import permit. Larger breeders like the Indiana University axolotl colony may be willing to fill out the forms if you send them to them.

Have you tried your local reptile and amphibian society?

B

brian

It's the export permit that is needed, not the import permit. Wards and Indiana University won't ship to Canada, I already asked. I have a feeling it's going to be a while before I can get my Axies.

L

leah

Too bad... maybe if you keep bugging them?
biggrin.gif

You could also try some of the larger fish stores, like Big Al's Fish Emporium. There are several stores now in Canada, but it's an American company. The one in Edmonton (where I used to live) sometimes had oddball creatures for sale and was able to bring in specific fish for me when I wanted. I'd think they would need permits for some of the stock they carried, so they may be willing to help you out.

Seems to me there was a member on here a while back who had some axolotls in Canada... I wonder if there's a way to search through the usernames by their countries?

B

brian

I shop at Big Al's often for my saltwater fish. I haven't been to talk to them yet(they're a bit out of my way), but I'll ask next time I'm in.

M

mik

Ok I have noi experience of the CITES thing but on keep ing males and females:

I have four large adult males, mixed colours in a 3ft tank x14" x 18". Lots of weed, pots, tunnels etc. No problems at all they seem to like to crowd together anyway. I feed these everyother day on earthworms, pellets, sumthing different every now and then.

I have 5 females in a 4ft x 12" x 18" tank. Females are all huge excpet for Moonpie who is about 8" now. Diet and tank set up is similar. There are foto's all the axie fourm of my axies and tanks, check out the gallery or set-up subsections.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1