Funny axos!

H

heather

if i tap the glass near my axies heads they do this wierd thing with their jaw...it looks really funny does any one elses axie do this??

Mine do something like this.. they play and chase my finger up and down the tank even after they have been fed... its really cute.

They come running up to the glass when i walk in from work and when i sit on my bed which is the other side of the tank they sit there and watch me awwww how cute.

But i think they only do this as they think they are goin to get fed.

Do yours do the 'ride the bubbles lift'? This is where they go up and down on the bubbles form the air stone?

Mine even sit there and 'hug' each other... see the thread RIP for a picture.

Mine love the bubble lift, they hug all the time, and whats even funnier is that mine look exactly like yours!! Take a look at the "pics" thread, near the bottom are my axolotls, their baby pictures are there too!

Ahh yes i remember now.. mine are about 7months old i think.

They are both from what i can tell female.

Unforuantly i have had one of my first babies pass on.. that was Spunky...

But the wild type is new and still un named.. lol poor thing.

Without mesuring i think they are now 9inches but i'll confirm that tomorro.

I recently moved my 3 axolotls from plastic tubs to an aquarium. They lived separately in the tubs so this is their first experience seeing each other and their own reflections in the glass.

One of them (Blingbling a gold albino) has a "special greeting dance" it does when it approaches the others or its own reflection in the glass. It goes something like this: slow motion step forward , bob head, wiggle gills, bob head, bob body repeat.

Last night I watched it do this to its self in the glass several times... cracked me up every time.

Your greeting dance may actually be a mating dance, Cynthia...the male often does perform a dance to try and attract the females attention. Watch out for little jelly cones with white tops...those are spermatazoa not eggs. But if you see these eggs may follow.

But.. but ... but they are still babies! lol
Young love, the Fred Astaire of Axolotls had better "just say no!"

I know I know.. I'm just another parent in denial.

So far Blingbling likes its own reflection better than the other axolotls in the tank. Perhaps I should change Blingbling to Narcissus.

My old male axolotl must of been a private dancer because I never saw him so much as get wink at the female, yet they produced thousands of off spring.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back