Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Deformity

L

lauren

Is it normal for limbs, toes, and the like to regenerate incorrectly? I don't mean duplications, but more incorrect placement or range of motion.

For example, my leucistic, who is still a juvenile, has one normal back foot, and one where the fingers are all there but tightly bound together and unable to spread out. On one of his front limbs, all the toes are again there, but two of them seem to be stuck together, so his hand looks like the Vulcan signal, or the Penguin. But the bones are formed perfectly.

dot

Reaction score
I believe so. Two of my axolotls have regenerated limbs. One of my wildtypes has what looks like the Vulcan sign on her left front hand and has one toe growing out of another on her left hind foot. My golden has a toe growing out of another on, coincidentally, the same foot and the same two toes as the wildtype.

K

katherine

My leucistic has an extra toe on his front leg that has diverged into almost 2 toes. From what I have read it seems like when they regenerate limbs they often grow back differently.

K

kim

My wildtype's rear left foot that looks like a claw... only 2 toes, and her back right foot only has 4 toes. (axies have 4 at the front and 5 at the back)

I have had her for nearly 3 months, and i've seen no signs for the re-growing. She does seemed to be bothered by it, so im not worried at all.

There is a picture in the 'eggs?' thread which shows her back feet.

C

cynthia

One of my favorite axolotl "regenerations" was a gold axie who grew back a front leg that looked like normal front leg except out of the "elbow" joint it grew an entire 2nd leg that went up in the air. So when it walked it looked like it was waving. It was classic.

I had several from one batch of young that grew back many extra toes, and double limbs. My sister took some of them that had been bitten the worst. One of those never grew back its front legs, she had it for 13 years.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!