FFS

F

fidel

What am I supposed to do? My brown Axolotl wont grow, and he has been bitten of a foot which is growing back a litle bit, but the rest is not growing at all, I gave him red mosquito larves on friday today i gave them earthworms, I changed the water because it was getting dirty, and he spit his whole stomach out, now what? I think its the food of the whole week that he just has spit out...red mosquito larves, earthworms...
Ive got him a month and a half now he hasnt changed anything, hes still way too skinny and i dont know what to do anymore...

(Message edited by castro on October 16, 2004)

Fidel,
Axies are masters of healing but it can take some time for it to happen. Especially fattening up after a lean period.

If he vomited after you changed the water perhaps you introduced a sudden change that he couldn't cope with...water quality, temperature etc. It's also possible that if he has been on poor rations for a while that you have fed him too much too soon. Again he needs a period to adjust.

How old/big is this axie? if less than 6" he'll probably still be good with brine shrimp. Try one bag a day and see how he responds. When he's a bit nor settled try small or cut up worms. Don't make the diet too rich or too varied just yet.

I've found its practically impossible to make my axolotls 'fat'. they instead grow longer. I'm sure they'll fatten up when they're done growing.

If the axolotl is injured, they'll use more energy trying to heal that injured part than to grow. this would be why he's not 'growing'. He's regenerating his foot first.

Like Mikki said, feed him just one kind of food until he gets healthy and adjusted. And get a filter to help clean up the water. A suction-bulb will also become your best friend when cleaning out the tank. Dont do 100% water changes. With a filter and a cycled tank, changing about 20% of the water once a week should be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back