Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is the pet shop telling the truth

C

carl

i was wondering about my axie its only young but he said when they get bigger they go on land but after the research i did they are fully aquatic so do they need land when they are bigger o yea he isnt albino he is a dark brown one i dont no if that makes any difference

C

carl

nope its deffently a axolotl has you can tell by the gills

K

kim

Axolotls and tiger's look the same at the early stage of there life, but where as axos stay in there larva form tiger's morph.

Have a search for tiger salamander larva and you will she what i mean

M

mik

It is my experience that in the UK axos are much more common in the shops than the tiger larvae.

However, I had a couple of fire saliies when v much younger and I had a book of the time that discussed axos. It was very definate that axos morph. I think there was a fair bit of misinformation and confusion regarding axies and the similar tiger larvae. I would expect that even now some of it prevails.

and...before everyone rushes to correct me that sometimes they do morph...i know but it aint common and more often than not that proves to have been a tiger in disguise.

(Message edited by mikki on August 05, 2004)

J

jenny

was it bolton you got it from? i got one from there. a pet shop in hindley told me that they can morph when older IF you train them but that rarely happens. by the way carl. hindley now have some in they are leceustic ones (white with black eyes) they are a tenner each but half of them are bout half the size of the axy you have now. but a few are big enough that you should be ok to mix with yours wildtype one from bolton. what have you called your axy by the way? was it just the one you got? are you keeping it in your 3 foot tank?

M

mary

Some pet shop owners and their assistants just don't know what they are talking about!!! It could be a case of the "I don't know what I'm talking about, so I'll spin him a <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> and bull story to shut him up"!!! That wasn't meant to be offensive to you at all though.

dot

Reaction score
The tiger sal I've got was given to me by a friend who'd gotten her at a pet store and was convinced she was an axolotl. (My user picture is of Ash shortly after I got her.) I treated her as an axolotl and eventually started seeing small changes in her appearance, so if you're still not sure, if yours starts changing, you've probably got a tiger salamander.

M

mik

Carl, you are in the UK and chances are you have an axie not a a tiger.

But don't even consider worrying about it unless you are noticing morphing symptoms.

But as Mary says, and i said earlier, there is loads of confusion about our neotonic friends.

There's a point does anyone know if there are other species of sally or newt that stay as larvae all their lives?

K

katy

I'm reasonably sure it's just the axolotl, Mik. I've done a fair bit of poking around and never come across another one. It's always possible, though, I suppose.

C

carl

well i looked at it and i am pretty sure its an axie i will keep a close watch for any changes

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1