I've got eggs!!!

M

mary

My axolotls have just layed eggs! It's soooo cool! I have a seperate tank and all that stuff and i'm all organised in that department, however I don't know where I can get food for these babies once they hatch??? I live in Queensland Australia, if any one can help me it would be appriciated. I know what I can feed them but i don't know where I can get it, and alot of info i have read says that you should start getting the live food together when the eggs are layed so you have enough when they hatch. Please help me!

I should mention - although I'm not sure why? I feed the adults on beef heart, meal worms and axolotl peletes (not sure what they actually are - they are from the pet shop) Also I've just noticed that the eggs are black on the top and white on the bottom, is this normal? Are they fertile? I know that the male laid his little sperm sacks a few days ago, I saw them, then this morning when i woke up there were about 20-25 eggs and later today there were heaps more!

Also I have another female, I was just wondering how long it takes for the male to want to do his thing again? Can I get more babies out of him soon?

How long does it take for the female to lay her eggs, cause as i said she started lastninght/early thismorning and she's still going i think?

I've moved the male to another tank, and i feed him and he's still hungry! so far today he's had 4 meal worms 3 peletes and 2 small strips of beef heart. Usually he only eats half of that every second day! He's been eating normally latley so he shouldn't be hungry should he. Is it cause becomming a father has taken all of the energy out of him??? Should I keep feeding him till he's not hungry anymore? Should I feed the female while she's laying eggs? I offered he a little bit of beef heart and she ate it so I tried to give her more and she backed away, normally she's a greedy guts and eats like 4 pieces a day!?

I don't know help me please!!!

Also what type of survival rate do the babies have, like if she layed 100 eggs how many should hatch, how many make it to a month old and how many make it to adulthood?

Sorry to have so many question, I think i know what im doing, but i'm just not sure on these things.

Another thing, sorry I kinow it's alot, but it's all new to me! How many eggs should she lay? there are heaps now, but I read that there can be 200 -1000 eggs, there's probably not even 100, but I think she's still going, it's been almost 24 hours now (roughly - i don't know when she started)

MR good luck with them all. When female has finished laying, typically 24 - 48 hours remove her and put her somewhere quiet to recover. the number of eggs depends on size and age of your female.

Seperate the eggs out so that they get sufficient aeration. Remove any dead or grey coloured eggs each day.

If you want your male to breed again soon. Keep him seperate until you want to put him with a female. But reccommend you don't try this until you think you can cope with your existing clutch.

Try newly hatched brine shrimp. You can buy eggs and make a hatchery easily. see Axolotl section of this site. Don't give beef heart too often, they love it but they have problems digesting mammal proteins.

Read breeding section on ww.caudata.org and the FAQS. It's nearly all there!

i read the title of this topic and last post by mik flounders and was like yay!!! his axys layed eggs i can buy some!!! but was dissapointed to find its someone who lives on the other side of the world
sad.gif

mik how often do your axys breed?

There were even more eggs thismorning than there were last night, over 100 now I think? It's hard to count them, cause there are heaps of plants and there are heaps layed in among them, I's easy to count the ones on the edge, so I've just estimated that there are over 100. I've checked twice thismorning and the second time there were more where there wern't any before, so I think she's still laying! Mik said that it depends on how how old and how big she is that determines how many eggs she will lay. Last time I measured her (about a month ago) she was 16cm (6.5in?) but I think she's a bit bigger than this now cause I've been feeding her up to make her strong for breeding. This is her first lot of eggs and I think she's about a year or so old but I'm not to sure on that.

The male is different now, he's more attentive than before. when I come into the room he comes out of his little hidy hole and comes up to the glass and lifts his head. He never used to do that before. Also when I put my hand in there before he swam straight up to it - I thought it was to bite me cause he's never done it before - I put my hand in there later on and he just nudged my finger with his nose - Like giving me a kiss and cuddle!!! I think he's proud of himself cause this is his first lot of babies too! He's about 25cm (10in?)long and about 18-20 months old.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back