Sea Monkeys yes or no?

K

kim

Ive Just been reading one other the other threads about sea monkeys.

I was wondering this too, Are they good for 'lotls and at what age? and are they easy to breed?

So many questions! lol

Any info would be great people! Thanks

They are basically a species of Artemia (brine shrimp) Google searches will provide lots of info
happy.gif

they only really have any nutritional value in the first twenty-four hours after they've hatched, as they are still feeding off of their yolk sacs. artemia and daphnia are great for babies, however, brine shrimp quickly die in freshwater, and can quickly foul a tank.

Sea monkeys are great food for hatchlings or very young juveniles. They are easy to work with. Don't forget to take their little crowns off.

yeah, if eaten, those crowns could be a royal pain in the a-

so, anyways...moving on...

technically yes, but it just doesn't roll off the tongue in the same way.

Clarence, agree that artemia have greatest nutritional content as new hatchlings and are great for baby axies but there is still a high protein content there afterwards.

I find axies lose interest at about 6 inches long an ignore them from that point on. But up to then they love them and I think grow very rapidly on a main-diet of artemia (supplemented for variety of course).

We are in a brine shrimp drought in uk right now. Stocks are being imported from Belgium and we are being charged ridiculous prices for a small bag (60p = $1 approx!).

I have hatched brine shrimp by the methods described but have never bothered keeping some to grow to commercial sizes (5-7mm). Any idea how long it takes I would guess about 1 month.

You half to enrich them with formulas. It gives me shivers to hear the word sea monkies, i prefer brime shrimp. I use them to feed dwarf seahorses, but you half to enrich them. I would think that they are too small to feed axolotols though. Maybe enriched adult ones. I dont know about this but maybee mysid shrimp will work.

Hi Paul,
The needs of marine fish for HUFAs (Highly unsaturated fatty acids if I remember correctly) is very different than the apparent needs of caudates. I have reared a couple of species to metamorphosis on nothing but adult brine shrimp.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back