Just a question.

A

a.

Do axolotls shed their skin? Because i've notice that when I move them from their tank to another one while I clean the tank, there is all this white stuff in the holding tank when I put them back in. Im guessing it comes off due to them moving around trying to avoid capture.

I had a similar problem with my axolotl. When I picked him up to move him from a hospital tank to his normal tank I found there was a black film like substance on my hands. I didn't hold him overly firm, just enough to move him from A to B.

I had thought it had something to do with a Salt bath I gave him the night before I moved him. But when i moved him from the bath to the hospital tank I had no problems.

What's going on? Was the salt bath too strong?

I havn't salt bathed it in a while, so I don't think it is that. It has also gone whiter in the tail then the rest of the body, why is that?

are you sure it isn't a fungal infection? is the white stuff growing on their bodies?

My black axi, freddo, had this problem, but now she's fine. for a few months a while ago, she would have whitish kind of slime floating all over her and when i would pick her up it would come off on to my hands, and it would be kind of sticky and hard to get off (even with soap). But one day the problem just stopped! I didn't really do much, just changed the water more regulary. Axi's don't shed their skin, but they do have a naturaly occuring "slime" on their skin, and this is fine, it's ment to be there (freddo's was more than this though) Axolotls skin is simalar to frogs skin (if this helps)

I don't know why your giving you axolotls salt baths, this can make them very sick and even kill them? where did you get this info about "bathing" from?

Katya, salt baths can be very effective at treating fungus and other ailments. It's actually one of the most common treatments used for axolotls.

Katya, Kaysie's right, in case you were wondering
happy.gif
We're not just talking about table salt here, though, it's a special solution to treat sick axolotls (and other amphibians as far as I know). Have a browse through the posts in the past and you'll see it mentioned quite a lot
happy.gif

ok, cause i thought that you were talking about the type of solution that you would have in a sea water fish tank - and that could kill them!

If it's fungus try a treatment of something like protozin (uk tradename I think). As for salt baths take a look at recipe for Holtfreters solution. There is a staggering amount of salt (NaCl) in there with respect to other salts. Recipe is posted elsewhere in caudata.org and Indiana Uni sites.

Best of all just don't handle them too often it reduces chance of picking up infection off your hands. Even if you wash your hands the oils (and soaps) aren't suited to their skin/slime layers. IT just opens things up and increases risk of infection.

Regards,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back