Refused food for 3 weeks now

N

nick

My 3 year old ax has stopped eating. He usually
feeds well every other day but then started spitting it back out and now he just turns away
when offered anything. The only other change in his behavior is a general lack of activity. His physical appearance looks fine, gills look in good condition. There has been no change to his environment or diet.

I'm sorry there's not much to go on but I would
really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Had this a few months ago. Just keep clearing out uneaten food after some time and offer new.

If he ain't too big try a bag of brine shrimp. Chances are at 3 years he will ignore. Try anything you can think of heart, liver, pellets, feeder guppies, earthworms, wax worms you name it.

Dunno if it is what kickstarted mine but you could try a major water change and tank clean up (I moved house and had to rebuild set up almost from scratch). Or simply transfer him to another container for a couple of days and then bring back to his tank.

Good luck

Thanks Mikki, I tried most food items you suggested without success. My thinking is now leaning towards temperature as the water is now
21c. I have put him in the fridge tonight-as suggested by a dealer- and hope this will do the
trick. This of course this will incorporate your idea of moving him to a temporary container which sounds a good idea.

Nick

hmm i've heard of a few who have put in fridge overnight but i think that is drastic. You might just end up with a derad axie. Better to freeze a few plastic bottles of water and then pop them into tank. Turn your lights off over night and if you're out leave them off. Axies don't really need all tht light (and heat). But 21 isnt too stressful (compared with 24) but they do like it a bit cooler.

good luck

He eat a worm! At last.

I took him out the fridge after 3 days and he
eat a small but signifigant meal.

I'v read that they encounter upto freezing temps
in the high altitude of their native mexico.

I also read that some guy kept his axie in the veg
tray in the fridge for years. His old woman must have gon nuts.

lol...amazing axies...fridge dwellers...lol

But glad to see he has eaten at last for you. It is a real concern when they stop.

I used to have a pyrenean mountain dog when younger. They are very large but with very low metabolic rate for a dog. Consequently every now and then he would be replete and stop eating for a week or so. and then at no apparent trigger he would be as hungry as ever. The only thing that puts me in mind of this 'syndrome' is the large wild cats and reptiles. They eat when they can but will often sit and ignore food till they know they need it.

Anyway best of luck with him

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back