Does a filter Aerate?

K

kirsten

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but not only am I new to Axos I am also new to the whole 'setting up an aquarium' thing. A filter cleans and aerates the water right?

Or do I need a filter and an air stone?

The answer depends on two things: what kind of filter? And what kind of lid is on the tank (solid plastic or screen mesh)?

The filter is a:
Hagen Elite Stingray - Underwater filter
And the lid is solid.. (cats = solid lid)

I also have been 'cleaning' up after him every day.. so the lid has been off for feeding and cleaning

In my opinion, adding an airstone would be a good idea. As it is, there is not much fresh air getting into the tank, except what leaks in around the edges of the lid. Clearly the air getting in is enough to sustain the axies, but keeping the tank well-oxygenated helps avoid some problems in the long run.

In answer to your original question: yes, the filter does aerate the water, in the sense that it stirs the water around so that it exchanges gases more easily with the air in the tank. But it doesn't bring any fresh air into the tank.

(Message edited by jennewt on July 19, 2004)

The air bubbles from a standard airstone/pump add very little air to the water.

What the airstone is designed to do is cause surface movement, which allows for gasses to move from the air to the water and vice versa.

If you position your filter so it causes a bit of splashing or even just lots of ripples, you will get the same/better gas exchange than with most airpump/stone setups.

I think your big problem is that although its a space efficient filter, i think if you have to clean up after him every day, you are either underfiltering by a long way, or you are overfeeding... And i tend to think its the filter not pulling its weight.

Axies are MESSY! you need a filter with guts (which does not translate to something that turns your tank into a washing maching-like whirlpool :p)

Stick with it, aquariums in general are a bit fiddly and overwhelming when you start out
happy.gif
Axies just add an extra dose of tricky :p

I'm actually not having any problems with my aquarium Abbey, but thanks for the concern.
happy.gif

I was simply wondering whether I was supposed to have both a filter and an airstone (or similar)

My filter does ripple a fair bit as I have it pointed towards the wall most of the time. I've noticed that my Axos hardly ever go up to the surface to breath so I assume that the level of oxygen is the water is fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back