Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do Axos *want* friends?

K

kirsten

Hi,

I have had my Axolotl for 3 days now and am quite taken with him. What I was wondering was do they actually LIKE to have a friend or is it just that they will tolerate another Axolotl if you add one to their tank?

K

kaysie

if the tank is big enough and with enough hiding spots, two or more can tolerate each other. but they dont require companionship.

K

katy

have you ever _asked_ an axolotl whether it wants a buddy, kaysie? :p

maybe they do like friends! mine are always nuzzling and being close. i reckon they enjoy that
happy.gif

M

mik

As a diplomat: They don't appear to need friends and seem to exist quite content alone. However they do if you put several together they seem to spend majority of their time in a bunch often taking turns to sit on top of each other. i reckon they prefer company if there's any to be had.

Regards, Mikki

K

kaysie

I said REQUIRE, not WANT. *works on that axie translating device*

M

mik

Kaysie = pms avenger today? whats eating you pedantic one... ;-)
Mikki

K

katy

ohh my kingdom for an axie translator device. or a cat translator, or a mouse translator, for all my other pets too *g*

J

jeffrey

Kaysie knowing you as I do I am sure you are being falsely modest here, I know you cleaned out those tanks using your feet while on the phone and making a trifle for tea, so you must be keeping the lid on your multi species translator until you have the patents sorted.

K

kirsten

so if I decided to get a companion Axie, what would be the best size tank? I have read a lot of different information, from people keeping 5 axies in a 2ft tank to people thinking a 4 ft tank is only big enough for 1.

Which is more important, the volume of the tank or the length of the tank?

Thanks.

K

kaysie

hiding spots and surface area (longer tank usually = more surface area).

J

jennifer

Length and width matter more than depth. For example, a 20-long would be better than a 20 high. A 20 gallon tank (about 75 liters) should be good for two of them.

K

katy

i've got a 15gal tank (2ft long) with 2 axolotls and they're happy enough, as long as they've got somewhere to hide. i wouldn't put more than that in there though!

L

leighton

We've put ours in separate tanks that pretty much abut one another along the short side. The two axolotls seem to spend a large amount of their time looking at each other through the glass. Perhaps they're wondering why the mirror doesn't work correctly
wink.gif

K

kirsten

Ok I went out and bought a 3ft tank today, I was originally going to get a smaller one, but this one had a nicer stand and seemed better value for money. If all goes well with the transfer I will be getting my 2nd axo tomorrow.

K

kirsten

haha! I swear Ebon knows what I am doing, he keeps swimming over to the side of his tank to watch me set up his new one...

biggrin.gif

K

kirsten

Ok, all set up (well almost, have some more driftwood soaking) he didn't like it at first but now he seems happy. And no problems with his new fiend!
bowl.gif

18143.jpg

S

stace

That's a great set up! I have a few questions about how you set it up and how it's working for you.

What sort of pebbles do you have in the tank? and what sort of plants are those? Do you have problems with your axolotl pulling them up or knocking them out?

Have you had any problems having snails in the same tank as axolotls?? I was originally told that they could harm the axolotl, is that right?

K

kirsten

Hi Stace,

I am only new to Axolotls myself, so have put my tank together based on what I've read and seen in pictures.

The snails haven't touched my Axo, they just wander around on the glass and ocassionly fall off. They were in the same tank at the pet store so I assumed it was ok. The label on their tank just said "Golden Snails". After I read what other people had said about snails I've kept a close eye on them, but it's been a week today and haven't had any problems.

I use a fine aquarium gravel, I couldn't tell you the exact size.. but each piece seems to be about 2-3mm or smaller. I've been hand feeding Ebon so haven't had any gravel eating problems.. the new one (still unnamed) tried to eat a couple of bits but spat it out, I think this gavel would be to small to cause any damage anyway. But I'll be keeping any eye on him until I can get him to feed from my hand as well.

The plants I have are called Pennywort. It seems pretty hardy. So far I haven't had any problems, I have them pretty dug in though. I did try another plant, and it didn't last at all.. (not sure what that one was called)

I wasn't sure if the tank was too bare or too crowded.. I guess it's a matter of trial and error. I will try and keep an update on how the plants go.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1