Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Getting another axolotl.

S

stace

I'm thinking of getting another axolotl as a companion for my 3-yr-old female axolotl (I still refer to Brocky as a male even though his anatomy doesn't reflect that, there's been very little change in anatomy since i brought him home, its hard after 3 yrs to get use to calling him a her). It can't be good for Brocky's self-imagine, i know.

Anyway, the axolotls that are sold at pet shops in my area are all still babies (<10cm>20cm axolotl? I've heard that the bigger ones bully the little ones and can hurt them.

Would it be better to put the new little one in a separate tank until its bigger and wouldn't be such a target.

Also, if i did put them into the same tank and the new axolotl turned out to be a male, would i have to separate them if i didn't want them mating?

K

kaysie

the little ones should be separate unless you want them to be food. lol. and since no one as of yet has salamander condoms, they'd have to be separate to be absolutely sure there was no breeding.

C

clarence

Well, as long as the male axolotl didn't have access to any righteous brothers or barry white albums, you should be fine.

K

kaysie

I've seen pairs that breed like rabbits, with or without the Barry White.

J

jesse

are you sure they didint have any barry white? they could have had one of those water proof cd players
rofl.gif

K

kaysie

Cant be positive, but i'm pretty sure there was no barry white..... then again.... oh man, there WAS Barry White....

L

leighton

The rate our wild-type eats he probably *is* Barry White.

S

stace

Do you think that if there was a tank with a lot of little axolotls in it, say at the pet shop, would it be an accurate measure to compare the other axolotls to determine their sex? So I can choose one that is the same sex as my axolotl, so i can keep them in the same tank?

K

katy

Yep, that'd make sense - just compare two axies of the same size. If the petshop knows what they're talking about, they should be able to help you... but don't count on it! Maybe bring along a print out of some sexing pictures?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1