Salamanders?

J

jenny

when you do searches on the net for axys it comes up as like axolotls and tiger salamanders..are they like, similar? do salamanders live in water? can you mix them with axolotls?

i think she may be asking if axolotls are salamanders -yes they are -they are salamanders of arrested development. there is very little difference between axolotls and tiger salamanders (or most other sals for that matter) until they reach metamorphosis -axies wont and will go on to breed as juvenile forms-never leaving the water like the similar tiger salamander will (the do occasionally morph-but that is rare).....the bummer over here in the US is that juvenile tiger salamanders are very often sold at pet stores as axolotls (and a few stores insist they are the same thing)- so people a few months down the line now have to deal with ...'help my axolotl turned into a salamander-what do i do?'...and then need a completely different set up. axolotls are more expensive than larval tigers -so this may be a reason for the mislabeling-over here larval tigers are often fish bait and can be found for as cheap as 1.25$ at angler shops -but 4-9$ at pet stores. --since you are in the UK yours is probably an axolotl -and if its any colour than greenish brown -it is definately an axie. it is best then to only keep it with other axies as its needs are much different than those of other salamanders-and remember anything smaller than it is a canadate for lunch -so if you get more -make sure they are of similar size.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back