Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Anchor worms and axolotls

D

deathbydisco

ive been keeping a small collony of guppies with my axols and ive noticed that a few of the larger guppies may be harboring anchor worms.im figuring they got them from the plants in my tank and ive been thinking of finding those guppies a new home in the toilet.could axols get anchor worms? also, i have my axols in a 10 gal tank filled to the top, everybody says i should keep the water level half full but my axols dont seem to really mind.

C

clarence

at the bare minimum, axo's need just enough water to cover them. Although, generally speaking, there is no need for more than, say, 5-to-8 inches of water.

And as I have seen my largest adult arc out of the water (startled out of sleep by a snail, i think) I like to keep several inches of clearence between the waterline and the top of the tank, in case he ever has a repeat performance.

(sans snails, of course)

D

deathbydisco

erm the larger brown axol (rick) is about 6 inches long at the moment, and the other albino axol (vivian) is probably around 5 inches long.they dont seem to mind the space they are in and ive never seen them nip at eachother. actually most of the time they sorta sleep on top of eachother so maybe they are in love, haha. about the tank being full, theyve never seemd to mind the deep water, and there is a lid on my tank so theres no way of escape. about the anchor worms... does anybody know if axols can get them from fish?

S

skip

Hi there
I've had Axols with Anchor worms.... it is a disaster! They get in the feathers of the gills and are ridiculously hard to remove!! I removed some with tweesers with mine, but you can easily damage the flesh that the feathers come out of. I'd be very careful.
Alla

D

deathbydisco

ok i cleaned the entire tank out, gave the axols a bit of a salt bath, gave the plants a salt bath, and flushed all the guppies that were in the tank. i also have an african claw toed frog in the tank so i salt bathed him as well. hopefully that does the trick. ive been feeding my axols tubiflex and guppies since i cannot get them to eat larger worms and they are getting too big for their newt pellets. the tubiflex are getting messy, any rec. for a better food?

K

katy

earthworms or mealworms are good, also cubes of frozen beef heart can be good, though not as a staple.

M

mik

Disco try anything they'll go for heart, liver (ox, pig or lanb), pellets (1mm), soft sinker pellets, earthworms, guppie fry, mollie fry, tubifex worms. Larger beasties (bigger than 6") tend to ignore brine shrimpand daphnia.

Chop earth worms up into lengths of 2cm or smaller. My 6cm baby albino descended upon an earthworm of similar length and was the avenging angel of death.

Axies love liver (dont give too often) but cut into strip 1mmx2mmx15mm for smaller beasties. Tip cut it frozen it's way too squishy otherwise. Same for heart. Note liver does tend to cloud water so a couple of days of it and you'll probably want to clean your filter and effect a failry major water change. Or feed it in seperate tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!