Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New axolotl behaviour

K

katy

I've just got me a second axolotl (I'm so thrilled!), and was wondering what some odd behaviour indicated.

My first, a 7" leucistic male called Juju, at first nipped at the newcomer, a 6" olive of unknown sex that I've named Aztec, then proceeded to show much interest in him, nuzzling and 'sniffing' him all over. I figured this was just general getting-to-know-you stuff, then I noticed that Juju's cloaca was split right open and he seemed to be rubbing it on Aztec's face.

Is this him asserting his dominance? Or is Aztec really a girl and it was some sort of initiating girl-n-boy thing?

Here's a pic of them:
17870.jpg

J

john

That's a very interestingly coloured albino (the golden-ish one). Gives Sara's "Chance" a run for his money, though Chance wins.

Your male axolotl is attempting to talk the other one into some lovin'. The other one is a female, probably not mature yet at that size though.

Are you sure JuJu is only 7 inches long? That's pretty small for a mature male...

Good luck.

(Message edited by john on July 09, 2004)

C

clarence

I dunno John, Pete is the biggest axo I've ever owned, and he started displaying the signs of sexual maturity at about that size (albeit, his growth was probably accellerated by the faulty air-conditioning system cooling the house to only 70F.)

J

john

At 7 inches? Sure it's more more like 9? The biggest I've ever seen was about 17 inches. Average is about 9 or maybe 10 inches. A 12 incher is exceptional, while a 7 incher is pretty small for an adult.

The temperature shouldn't influence how big they'll be when they are fully grown (they all _start_ to mature around 7 inches from what I've experienced, no matter how big they grow to in the end).

Good luck with them though.

K

katy

I just measured him again and Juju's definitely about 7 inches, nose to tip of tail. I don't think he's full grown yet, but he's sexually active, first by the fact that he's got black tips on his toes, and second by the behaviour exhibited here.

I wasn't sure if Aztec was an albino - I didn't think it was possible to have that much colouring and still be albino, but her eyes have red pupils.

Today I woke to find that one of Aztec's gills is missing
sad.gif
I guess they got a little rowdy last night?

M

mik

The golden coloured albino is very interesting one. It's hard to see if the eyes are pink from the photo but if they are then that would signify genotype d/d a/a (from sources I have read). But typical golden albinos are D/? a/a. Anyone else know different?
Would like to know if there is a speckled / reflective ring around the eyes too...
Good luck with them both. Nice pair of axies

K

katy

There is a golden reflective ring around her eyes, and the pupil is definitely pink/red coloured.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1