Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White spots?

B

bily

Hello all,

I have had 5 axies in a 55 gallon tank for several months. The water conditions are always perfect, and the current is fine. I decided to change the gravel to aquarium sand. The process was a little more stressful than I had hoped due to the time it took (other circumstances increased the time)which I'm sure killed off most of the beneficial bacteria. So I basically started with a sterile aquarium. Fortunately, I have always been good at maintaining aquariums so three days later my water conditions are back to normal.

Well to the point and my question. The gravel was dark in color and the sand I have chosen is very light like beach sand. My largest wild hid alot at first, I imagine because he had been used to blending in to his substrate. Now that he is out I have noticed for the first time light gray spots on his sides. They are no different in size than his natural markings. They do not seem fluffy or of a different texture than the rest of his skin. They may have actually been there all along, but it seems I would have noticed them more readily with the dark backround of the gravel. Of course, being worried about my babies after the substrate change I my have been more disposed to notice the spots.

He looks and acts healthy, and is also eating bloodworms well. However, he has not consumed earth worms as readily since I switched to sand. I am sure this will improve in the next few days as well.

I have never seen an axolotl with a skin fungus of any kind, so if anyone can tell me if this sounds like something I should be concerned about please let me know. Also, pictures would be great for a future reference.

Thank you,
Billy Miles

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1