Please Help Me!!!

tayler

Reaction score
I've been really looking into getting an axolotl, but so far from what I've read, it all sound EXTREMELY complicated, is it really that hard with the cleaning, filtering and feeding? As far as "small" pets go, I have one leopard gecko, but in the past i have had up to 7 newts/salamanders at one time (tries a baby tiger salamander but my other salamander killed him) Anyway, if there are any tips or an easier way to explain it, I'd REALLY appreciate.

P.S. Can they completely live off of frozen blood worms? Not too many pets stores in my area will probably have all sorts of food for such a unique animal :]

Taylor, they're not that hard. I spend about 20 minutes a week on maintanence (including water changes and feeding) for my axolotl tank (with 5 adults).

Have you read www.axolotl.org yet? That's a good place to start.

Mine eat mostly earthworms, as these are a pretty adequate staple.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

If you can vary their diet rather than just frozen bloodworm, if you can get earthworms. Though I do know a few people that just feed frozen bloodworm and axolotl pellets as they find it easier/cleaner than digging round for worms. Can you get any earthworms; they are generally cheap if you can buy some from a baitshop or online and then set up a wormbin.

Check out: www.axolotl.org and read round the posts and if still confused about anything, ask.

We have axies in an unfiltered tank but we regularly test the water and do waterchanges if ammonia or nitrite levels rise above 0.

If you can get a tank and cycle it prior to getting an axolotl that's the best way to go; during the cycling period use that time to research up on them. Cycling takes anywhere from 3-8+ weeks. http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

Feeding is easy once you get the hang of it. Really depends on what type of tank floor/substrate you decide to have. Gravel/pebbles are a big no no. The best is no substrate or sand. With no substrate you can just drop the food in and it won't , if it's earthworms, bury itself in the sand/substrate. Otherwise you can handfeed or use a pair of tweezers or kebab stick with the worm jabbed on the end. If you use sand, some people have small plate in the tank where, after thawing the bloodworm cube, they drop it onto the plate

Your best cleaning tools are a siphon hose and turkey baster. Turkey basters come into their own on a daily basis when spotcleaning.

(Message edited by kapo on April 26, 2007)

(Message edited by kapo on April 26, 2007)

If you have never kept an aquatic tank before, there are some things to learn. It's not extremely complicated, but you have to follow some basic rules and be diligent in caring for the tank. Pet shops can't tell you much about axolotls, but they can be helpful in learning about how to maintain an aquarium properly. If you decide to get one, get a tank at least 24x12in (60x30 cm), larger if possible. Larger tanks are better for the animal.

thanks everyone
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back