New to Axolotls...

C

caitlin

I have an established freshwater aquarium (10 gal) that is devoid of any fishy inhabitants. I am curious to know if I could possibly use the tank to house axolotls (with obvious changes to size of substrate, temperature, etc) without any ill effects. Comments?

What are the tank dimensions. I don't know how much a galleon is in Aus we use litres. I would say it would be fine. If you change what you have listed then the axie should be happy. Also remember the readings should be:

Ph: 6.8-8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 10

Temperature: 14-24 (Preferably under 20c

Once you get them readings and the temp is around what i have mentioned then i think your axie will have a great life. Just remember to do 20% changes every 1-2 weeks.

The dimensions of the tank are 20 x 10 x 12 (inches).
I've been reading a bunch on axolotls and several people have recommended an aquarium fan to keep the tank cool. Is this a sufficient method of cooling? Also, I've read some conflicting opinions on space requirements: can my tank size comfortably house 2 axolotls?

Ah ha, I just read on another thread that my size tank is too small for 2.

But then again, axolotl.org states that "You could keep 2 adults in a 10 US gallon / 37 litre aquarium with no problems. in the FAQs... conflicting information????

The fan is a great way to maintain a certain temp. If i were you i'd just start with one axie and when you get the hang of looking after them properly get another. If you've been reading up on them i suppose you know most of what i've told you. Good luck

Its conflicting information. Even one Axolotl in a 10 galon is gonna be on the small side becuase a axolotl can grow 12 inches long and get rather big.

Caitlin, instead of making a new post every time, please learn to use the 'edit' feature. This is the little 'pencil and paper' icon above the message box. This will save on space as well as avoid redundant posting.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back