UK Axolotl Prices.

S

sara

I was just wondering how much the British community paid for their Axies and where they bought them from (no need for names, just like pet shop or breeder or whatever).
I ask this 'cus I got mine from a garden centre for £7 each, they're about 5 inch and very healthy, but when I went in today they were selling them for £26... Woah... That's a rise in price for the same variety and a smaller size. I was wondering if I got mine a pricing fluke as the £26 seems way too high.
Any thoughts?

My axies in the Netherlands will cost about €25 a piece...that's about £16. Personally I think £26 is really expensive, but the petshop I'm gonna buy them from said that the prices fluctuate a lot because of the availability. Naturally they say that because they want to sell them, but I think they have a point.
I think that you were lucky for getting your axie for £7, since that looks very cheap to me.

Hi Sara! Am in London, Uk, and here the axies are usually between £17-£27 in petshops. All mine ( 3 of them) are from petshop

Anywhere between £10 and £30.
I pay about £12.99, but this end of the country, you only normally find Leucs.
I'd love a melanoid adult.

Amber, whereabouts in UK are you? If you are near London, the petshop where I get mine from had 3 melanoids when I last went there :)

I'm surprised that the shops actually have axies 'in stock'.. most shops here in the netherlands where I went looked at me as if they saw water burning when I mentioned axolotls.

I'm near the 'lovely' city of Birmingham in central England (midlands) Sheeri... :D
Mine are both leucs that were £7 and so were the £26 ones (which were brought in all of two days after I brought mine), but they have had in yellow and albino ones in the past, also £26.
I'm starting to think it was a pricing fluke as they'd just changed the pricing system there, and they were in healthy condition.

I'm near the 'lovely' city of Birmingham in central England (midlands) Sheeri... :D
Mine are both leucs that were £7 and so were the £26 ones (which were brought in all of two days after I brought mine), but they have had in yellow and albino ones in the past, also £26.
I'm starting to think it was a pricing fluke as they'd just changed the pricing system there, and they were in healthy condition.

Little update on my part, another aquatics have started selling them fully grown (wild types) for £24.99... I wanted one.... Never seen the wild types ones before...

In Leeds they cost £12 for "normal" wildtype, £15 for leuc. 2 leuc for £25. I just got a wildtype to join my leuc in my new 4ft tank.
happy.gif
Once it's cycled and the new guy is quarantined that is. Then I'm after a melanoid.

where can you get Leucistic axolotls in the uk everywhere i have been only has golden albinos black melanoids and wildtypes

Hey Charlotte, you're from Birmingham, keep an eye on a large aquatics on the out skirts of Shirley. They've only been selling wild type but they've only had their first order in.
I got my Leucistic from a garden centre in the countryside not far from Birmingham.

thanx yeah i went to shirley aquatics and they only had wild types is the garden centre you are talking about webbs in bromsgrove because that is where i got my axolotl from but they only had albinos and melanoids maybe i should try going another time

I got mine from somewhere near a town called Nuneaton, a garden called Dobbies, they always have leucistics... In about two years I have only ever seen one that wasn't.
Its a bit far out from Brum, but I'll give you directions if you're keen.

it would be great if you could i'm in south west birmingham thankyou so much for all your help

in nottingham and derby they cost anything from £15 - £30 this is due to the the fact that axie and reptiles are becoming popular. if you ask at the pet shops they should be able to order the type of axie you want in.

I got my 4 for £7.50 each. There were in perfect health when I got them and all seemed very happy and still are. They are the best purchase I have ever made!

Hey Charlotte. sorry about the delay, been away for Christmas, I'll sort you the map out asap, but I have to say, last time I was in this garden centre they had a very poorly, very young axolotl for sale, so please be warned 'cus I'd really really hate to send you there for no good reason or worse (though it's only the second one I've seen in a bad way). Try, perhaps, ordering from Shirley first?

I will try that, thankyou for being so helpful, I hope you had a good Christmas.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back