Aquarium/feasibility questions

erin

Reaction score
Display Name
erinrobbins
I'm new to axolotls, and I'm looking at building an aquarium for one.

I'm in college, so I don't have space for a huge tank in my dorm, but a two to three foot long one shouldn't be that big of a deal. I'd like to not invest a ton of money in this, but I'm willing to spend enough to get it set up properly.

I have an idea of what kind of filtration I need - I'm thinking of cutting a tank, and using 1/2" or 3/4" inch pvc, two 12"-18" long pieces, one as an intake and the other as an outtake. Each would be alongside the side of the aquarium,with holes every 1" or so, tilted down towards the bottom of the tank. For the output, I'd angle it towards the back of the tank to decrease water disturbance. I was also thinking that plugging the end of both tubes with a piece of natural sponge, to dissipate the water, and prevent axolotl food from hiding in the tube. What kind of filter would I need for a setup like this? I'm assuming a canister filter - is it possible to find one of these fairly cheap and low-powered? Should I use a material besides pvc for the tubes? Would soft tubing be a better option?

Also, would a heavy-duty clear rubbermaid-type tub work for an axolotl? I keep guinea pigs in 12"x30" tubs, which gives them a bit of a running space. They tend to be cheaper than aquariums, and are a lot harder to break.

My other main concern is how well axolotls handle travel. I go to school about a thousand miles away from home. I stay at school pretty much all the time, except for thanksgiving and christmas. Then, I drive either one or two days home or to some other family. I have a little betta who's made the trip in a cup, quite the little trooper. I'm not sure how well an axolotl would handle this... Nor am I sure how well I could pawn an axolotl off to a friend for a week or two ("you want me to feed it WHAT?!"). I've also thought about setting up an entirely second tank at home, so the axolotl could have an already-cycled tank for breaks, and maybe get my dad get an axolotl for that tank.

I've never messed with many aquatic plants before - what would be a good few to get started with? And would they work with sand substrate, or would sand have to be mixed with bigger pond rocks?

The last questions here would be if cycling the tank initially with water from the betta tank (10 gal) would be harmful to the axolotl. Also, does anyone know anyone in the western NC/Eastern TN/Southern VA area that raises axolotls?

(Message edited by kryrinn on April 18, 2007)

(Message edited by kryrinn on April 18, 2007)

Erin, a 2 foot tank doesn't need that much filtration. It's probably overkill. A good 'overhang' filter or a small internal filter should do fine for a 2 foot tank.

I've used rubbermaid tubs for years with no problems. They're much more durable, and cheaper!!

If you only plan on leaving for a week or two, at most, then your axolotl should be fine without any food for that long. I've left mine for over 10 days with no problems. I just feed them extra for the month before I leave, and they get a little extra-fat, and are fine.

Sand is the best substrate. As for aquatic plants, I can't keep any alive to save me. But moss balls, elodea, hornwort, java ferns, java moss, and anubias are all good plants that like low light and low temperatures. Most of them are kind of free-floating.

Cycling with fish is an acceptable practice. Although it's better to seed the tank with substrate, filter media, or decorations from the betta tank rather than water. These have more bacteria on them than the water would have.

If you keep your eye on the 'for sale' section, people almost always have extra axolotls and are willing to ship.

Remember a 2 foot is only good for one axie
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back