Ahh help me please odd fungus on gills

C

cameron

my axie is starting to get this odd fungus stuff on her gills and for about the last week she hasnt been eating either i just thought at first she might have been bloated but now tonight when i got home i noticed this i dont know what to do as i am going away tomorrow and my family have no idea, if i can possibly get someone to do the salt bath thing i have read about what do they have to do, eg: how much salt what type of salt does the water already have to be treated too and what else do i need to know, if i cant get anyone to do this how long would it be ok to leave i know it sounds like i am fobbing her off but i have no choice tickets already paid for argh please help me any info would be helpful and the quicker the better too so i know what to do thanks heaps

2 teaspoons for every pint of water. Put ur axie in for 15maximum 2 times a day till its gone
happy.gif

thanks for that but what sort of salt do i use can i use normal everyday salt or do i need to use some special salt

Hi Cameron it's aquarium/tonic salt you use (or sea salt or uniodised table salt - if you don't have any tonic salt).

The quantity is

2-3 teaspoons of salt per litre (or 2 pints) of dechlorinated water (tapwater with a water ager/conditioner/dechlorinator drops added to remove chlorine and chloramines)
Leave in for 10-15minutes max. as too long and the salt can burn. Twice a day, three times on weekend if able.

Also, saltbaths need to be continued until a few days to a week after the fungus drops of.

ok i will give it a go and see what happens just hopin 4 the best k thanks

well fungus stuff all cleared up and she only ate half of her food though i have the slight feeling that she me either be bloated or overweight if she is overweight what should i do i know that mainly time will help if she is bloated all help will be greatly appreciated.

If she's fat, don't feed her as much.

Time won't help if she's bloated. Bloat is an infection that gets worse with time. If you think it is indeed bloat, then she needs a vet.

Bloat is usually distinguished from being 'fat' as 'fat' goes away within a few days, and is usually restricted to the back part of the body. Bloat usually gets continuously worse, with the throat, chest, and head also showing signs of swelling.

what can you do if she is bloated im still not 100% on what it is but she is very round in the centre part of her body i have cut her food down to 1 feeding every 2 days

Can you post a picture of her, using the upload attachment?

hi i added the picture this is how she is now she has pretty much doubled in size in the last 2 days now i am starting to worry pls help
82287.jpg

mm yeah i know she is big and had gotten like this mostly in the last 2 days

What substrate are you using?

Treatments for bloat are usually isotonic salt solutions (usually using Holtfreter's solution), or vet treatment. At this size, I would HIGHLY suggest seeing a vet right away.

using sand substrate when i first got her i used gravel which i have seen some at the bottom of the tank a few times. where in melbourne aus would there be a vet who would look at axolotls

U should take it to a normal vet and ask if they could take a look at him..you never know...if none of the vets have any experience with axies then you could ask if they have any contacts of some one who could help out

Just a suggestion

My guess would be either bloat or severe impaction, both of which need a vet.

I'd start calling vets, and see if any have 'exotic pet' experience, especially amphibians. If they don't, chances are they'll direct you to someone who might.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back