Missing Gills

L

levi

Well I just bought my first Axolotl and I noticed that on it's facing left side 2 of the smaller gills are missing. I know that Axolotls have the ability to regenerate, I also notices there where no mark where it would be bitten at it looked like plan skin with nothing wrong. So my question is could it be a genetic defect or is it just healing ?

Do you have any pics that could give us a better visual representation? It is hard to tell. It may be a genetic effect or it may be healing.

Could be both but i agree with cameron about the pic. Diagnosing would be easier with visual aid

82088.jpg
82089.jpg

it seems to be doing well, and as I take a closer look it kinda looks like it budding but I'm not to sure. Sorry my camera isn't really detailed kinda cheesy I guess, hope the pictures help though

By the look of this i think it is a deformity. The budding you see might be as big as they'll get. If they start growing though you know it will be fine.

I wouldn't worry about it as you said it is doing fine. It probably doesn't even need the other gills as it might have been like this its entire life.

It looks like they could grow back. I think it is fine. Don't feel bad about it.

hey
my brown one that ive had since and inch and is now 6inchs has had gills on one side missin his whole life but he is fine nothink wrong wiv him at all think it is just a deformaty but he will be fine
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back