Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl- how do i keep it cool

C

christopher

Im new to this.
How do I keep the tank at 65'F.
The only method I have right now is to add ice.
sad.gif

please help

C

christina

wont the fans aggrivate the axies? as water flow can stress them?

C

connor

Nope :D Already checked everything and thats what people use to cool there tanks...its on an article on this website somewhere about keeping caudate tanks cool and they say to use fans

C

christopher

Its a good idea but if my room temp is ~71 wouldn't the fan just keep it at 71???

J

jennifer

A fan (blowing air across the surface of the water) can reduce the water temperature to BELOW the air temp because of evaporation. You know the concept of how sweat keeps our bodies cool, right? Evaporation basically "sucks the heat" out of any moist surface. The drier your air is, the more effective this method is.

For various cooling ideas, see:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1