Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is Axel a boy or a girl

stephen

Reaction score
Is my axolotl a boy or a girl? I have been told before it looked like a girl but i am not sure.
81073.jpg

J

jay

I would say girl, but im not sure without a full shot of the body to see if it looks like it has eggs inside it and a top view for the same reason.

S

sarah

Looks female to me,can I advise removing the gravel from your tank though as it can be dangerous to axies if swallowed.

stephen

Reaction score
If i left the gravel in there would it be ok because it has been living in this tank for nearly a year now.

J

jay

It is a possibility. The rocks would clog up its digestive system and slowly kill it. I would take out the gravel. Its safer that way. You don't wana make it suffer for your enjoyment

stephen

Reaction score
I want to take out the gravel but my parents don't want me to, they just say it is fine.

stephen

Reaction score
Some of axel's toes are black and some of them are white what does this mean?

J

jay

He is maturing. Tell your parents that he will die painfully if he eats to much. See what they say to that

A

alex

hi stephen.
if your parents have any doubts, let them see this, im sure they will understand the situation.
if i were you id siphon out the gravel, and put in sand instead.
to put the gravel into perspective, its like someone puts stones in your food, but you have 2 broken arms in casts, so you cant pick them out, and so you just have to eat them. eventually no other food is able to pass through coz your digestive system is so clogged up. i bet you can imagine its not a very nice way to die!!
anyway, good luck with your axie
happy.gif

J

jay

I would say that is an old photo from when he first got his axie and his tank had gravel. After all most of us had gravel when we first got them.

A

alex

hi
yea, it was, i first got my axolotls, and they were in a 3 foot tank, however, it developed a leak, so they went in an old fish tank. i didnt have any substrate so i foolishly got gravel from my fish tanks.
now i know not to have gravel, but thanks for pointing that out, il get it changed right away.

T

tracy

i changed from gravel to sand. my axolotl is much happer as he can dig around and shove his plants all over the place. and i dont have to worry about when he misses his food and eating a stone when he strikes at it.

(ps old photo)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1