Is it male or female?

stephen

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Stephen
I am still not sure if it is a boy or a girl could somebody please tell me what they think it is.

81209.jpg
81210.jpg

I think bcos your Axie is fat it may be a girl
full of eggs,how old & long is your Axolotl?

Or it could be fat from ingestion of gravel, I recommend removing it.

It was 15cm when I got it and now it is over 20cm and it has now been 4 months since I got it.

Does everybody think that my axolotl is a girl because I want to get another one because I used to have two and then the other one died. I want to be sure what gender it is so I can buy another axolotl of the same gender. (I don't really want any babies)

I recommend removing them too. You do realise your axie can swallow those glass pebbles don't you! Basically anything smaller than their head will fit into their mouth. Two of ours had quite a few pieces of these glass pebbles in their gut, which they spent about 11 months pooing out. They just have the smaller pieces of gravel bits that occasionally appear in the sand still (so that's over 15 months). We're lucky they didn't have a blockage which could have lead to prolapse and subsequent death.

Kapo do you think it s male or female?

Could people just say what gender they think it is because I am having a lot of trouble working out what gender it is.

Looks female but please remove the gravel,it looks full of the stuff.

Stephen you have to remove the gravel, it seems like you are ignoring us in the thread, come on its for your axolotls sake!

yea
sand !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it is a fat male or women she or he is to fat so i can´t tell what the gender is.

I believe the fatness is due to ingestion of gravel!!!

I think it could be female. I'm not basing on stomach size but the first photo of cloaca.

With our wildtypes we thought one was a female due to it's roundness and cloaca size; put it in an all female axie tank only to discover few months down the line she was most definitely a he! He developed later than our other males who had developed their large cloacas at 9months+

i would have to agree with Kapo your little axie does look like a little girl. The fact that she is so large may not be from ingestion of stones. I had ordered a white axie around a week ago and had to wait as she was in quarantine, when i picked her up i noticed she was rather large so it could just possibly be the fact she may eat alot or something along the lines of that??

I feed it every day is that to much?

No wonder your axolotl is so fat, you don't need to feed it that often, every other day at the most, every third day is fine too.

(Message edited by i_love_necturus on April 02, 2007)

I was told by the people at the pet shop that I have to feed it every day. They said it is better if I feed it twice a day.

Unfortunately most pet shop workers know very little about the animals in their care,all they want to do is make money by selling you the animals and all the gear (including food) to go with them.
You do not need to feed every day,try 2 or 3 times a week.

Thats true very third day is the best. I would change their feeding habits. Also with the pet shop they don't have a clue its best to ask someone who has knowledge or read internet sites or books

It depends on temperature and such, but every day is too often. In summer months, I usually feed mine 3 times a week, sometimes 4 if they're looking thin. In the winter, they eat at most twice a week.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back