Hidden but not forgoten

chooken

Reaction score
Display Name
chooken
Hello all,I`m a new Axolotl mummy,i got given my Axolotl & i`v had him for a few weeks now but he hardly ever comes out of his cave home,what do you think can be wrong? & i am having a hard time keeping ammonia levels down.

Did you cycle your tank? If not, then that's why you're having a problem with ammonia, your tank is cycling. See: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

What is your tank temperature? If 24C+ then it could be a combination of temperature and ammonia. To combat your ammonia, you need to do daily partial only waterchanges - 30%, this will keep your ammonia in your tank safe enough for your axie to reside. Don't clean your filter and don't add any chemicals, as advised by any petshop people, to your tank unless its a water ager/dechlorinator that removes chlorine and chloramines.

How big is your tank, how old is your axie, what is his appetite like, how often do you feed and what? Have you tested for anything else, ie nitrite or nitrates?

Have you visited: www.axolotl.org?

(Message edited by kapo on March 22, 2007)

No i didn`t cycle my tank but i`ll start
doing that strait away,I think the temp
may be around 30C,

My tank is 20inch long,
11inch tall & 10inch wide,i think He is a golden albeno & a few years old,he has dark tow
tips,i feed him once a day on OX heart but he
didn`t eat yesterday or the day befor,

yes i have visited www.axolotl.org
i haven`t finished reading it all yet.

Thanks for the info.

Our adults - 19month olds and 4 year olds eat every 2-3 days. His food may not be completely digested in his gut and he could still be settling in.

With the cycling as its already started just keep a record of the levels every day/2 days and do the partial 30% waterchanges daily. Clean up any uneaten food or poo/waste (if you don't already have one get a turkey baster they're good for spot cleaning).

Thank you, you have been very helpful.

Hi Chooken,
I have re-read your post and found that
you said that your tank temp is about 30.
This is far to HOT for the axies.
It needs to be lower than 20 for their comfort.
I noticed that you are in Australia and
the temperatures get very warm so a
thermometer is a must have.
Try a fan, iced bottles of water,
be sure that you use dechlorinated
water in the bottles in case they
break or leak to bring the temperature down.
Cheers,
Chris.

Can they be a bit climmbatized if they are born & bred here?

Is 3mm small enuff gravel For in with the Axolotl.

How do i go about changing the frozen water
bottle when it defrosts when i`m at work?

Thank you
happy.gif

(Message edited by chooken on March 24, 2007)

Hi Chooken,
Axies are cold water beings,
it doesn't really matter where
they are bred, cold is cold.

I wouldn't use gravel, axies can eat it.
Sand or nothing on the bottom are best.

And for frozen bottle replacing when at work,
can some one else come in
or I leave the air conditioning
on low or leave a fan on
facing the water.
I find the last 2 work for me.
Cheers,
Chris.

No they can't they prefer the colder temperatures, extreme temp 24C and above will stress them. You could place polystyrene round your tank top/sides and apparently when you drop the bottle in it may last couple hours longer - Row another aussie did similar. Only other alternative is to put him in the fridge until your temperature cools down - you'd need to change the water completely daily.

Best gravel is no gravel, unless you permanently silicon it down. it can cause blockages leading to a prolapse and possible death. You'll also find a lot of waste gets trapped beneath and between.

Ok i will try the fan,i don`t have air con.
I just got a bag of 3mm gravel, oh well.

what sort of places are good to get sand from?

bunnings or mitre 10 or similar hardware/gardening shop - ask for playsand, they usually sell it by big bagload (approx 25kg) for under $10/ Petshops sell sand, but very expensive.

I just stuck my Axolotl in the fridge in an old
ice cream container with another one for his
water change, so hopefully he be ok.

Apart from the daily waterchanges it will be alot less stress both on you and your axolotl!

Keep us posted! :D

I didn`t leave him in the fridge for long,i
changed the filter setup & now he is getting
around heaps
happy.gif
,i musta had to much
water flow for the little guy & he`s still not eating.
sad.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back