Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Adding new axy?

N

nicole

I have had my Mugatu for about 7 months now. I started off with 2 axys but sadly, one passed about a month after I got him. I am thinking about getting a new axy for companionship. A few questions...
Is introducing a younger axy into a tank with a more mature axy safe? What is the best way to do this?
Are axys happier with a friend?
How do I make sure this new axy is not a repeat of my late axy...he wouldnt eat anything when mugatu was around and failed to grow much.
Any help is much appretiated! Thanks!

K

karrie

They need to be real close in size or the big one will eat the little one. You need to keep the new one apart for 30 day to make shure it's not sick. I'am not shure about the rest some else can help more with that. Good luck

L

lee

we started of wiv one axalotl now got 3 its best to have the axlotls the same size as the biger one will attack the smaller one thats what happend to us so we put a devider in the tank for 2 months so they got used to each other that way by still seing each other but if the new axolotl is verry small put it in a diffrent tank till its older and stonger then when u put axolotl in d tank when he she as grown they will be fine.

heihei

Reaction score
definitely quarantine whatever axie you get for 30 days as Karrie says. Also, try and get one a similar size.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1