Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gills Problem

V

vicki

Hi, can anyone explain to me what i might be doing wrong. I have just noticed that my orange axie has been losing his lovely fluffy gills, and dont know why. I have checked the water and it appears to be alright. i have been trying to keep the water temperature down with frozen water bottles as the tank is getting too warm some days.
He appears to be eating healthy. swims around alot and keeps going to the top gulping for air. I dont think that the filter is too strong sd there does not appear to be a lot of current.

kapo

Reaction score
Vicki, did you check out the followng link from another aussie axie owner www.caudata.org/forum/messages/793/78488.html?1171970762 regarding cooling a tank and maintaining temperature while at work!

As your tank temperature is warm and he is losing the fluffy gills, there is less oxygen in the water hence the reason he will need to go to the top to get oxygen.

Do you still have 3 axies in the tank? If you do get your water tested for ammonia at the petshop. Your tank is way too small for 3 axies and the addition of a 3rd axie, adds more waste to the tank which isn't good for any of your axies health. Make sure the petshop gives you the figures and don't buy anything to fix ammonia; it can be fixed by partial daily waterchanges if needed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!