Axolotls and snails

kathryn

Reaction score
Display Name
Kathryn S
I had a dream last night that I had a snail in the tank with my axolotl... I know it's a bad idea to have fish with them, but how would they react to having a snail? Would it be beneficial to the tank environment?

Is it ok to not have live plants?

So many many questions...

IMO, no. The best tank companion is an axolotl or himself, nothing else. So why not get two rather than one.

Be prepared though, things like cycling your tank before hand and doing plenty of research; see: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml
and also if you intend buying them within a few weeks ensuring you can maintain their tank temperature well below 24degrees if buying during the summer; as I'm sure you will see reading this forum there are a lot of aussies trying to cope with bringing their tank temperatures down.

Other things you'll have to consider is if they're sick are you prepared to put them in the fridge; which is usually the best method apart from saltbathing to treat them.

Don't bank on petshop advice, as they are usually wrong in what to feed them, how an axie tank should be setup, in choice of substrate, chemicals to quickfix or "cycle" a tank, and medication to fix illnesses etc... The best advice you could get is here on this forum

Yes, ok to not have live plants. I have plastic plants, had a java moss ball at one stage many months ago but that soon died off. My axies uprooted plastic plants, apart from one I siliconed to part of their cave; otherwise the rest just float on tank surface; so apart from filters in some, airstones, caves, huge handsized rocks and sand mine are pretty barelooking but our axies seem to be thriving a year and a bit on!

Any more questions, ask away, also have a look at www.axolotl.org website,
using sand/gravel as permanent substrate see this thread if you want to go ahead and use gravel but without the mess: http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/793/77098.html?1170154180

(Message edited by kapo on February 16, 2007)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back