Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi-New to axolotls

L

louise

Hello! I'm new to axolotls, but currently keep many reptiles. I have not kept amphibians for many years.

I live in Glasgow, and when I saw some axolotls in a garden centre, I fell in love!

I have a spare 12 gallon glass tank I would like to use, but at the moment I'm doing research before I commit to purchasing one.

I'm a bit confused by filters-what would be the best type to buy for that size of tank? I would also like to know if my tank would house 2 axolotls comfortably, or is one enough?

Thank you for your help!

K

karrie

I would say a Fluval 1plus for that size tank. But that size is only good for one. If you get a bigger tank for 2 I would get a fluval 2plus that size has a water flow adjuster. Use sand not gravel. Dont trust what they say about taking care of them most of the time they just want to make a sale. Check here first. You also need to cycle the tank first also. Ask all the question you want . We are more then willing to answer them
happy.gif

K

karrie

Axie will swallow it or eat it. It will get stuck in them and cause all kinds of problems some times kill them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1