Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie changes to Salamander???

jessica

Reaction score
I just got a new Axie? I was told by the pet shop that it will change ti a yellow and black tiger salamander... Is this true because no one is talking about that?

D

danny

If it is really an axolotl it will very rarely metamorphose into a land-salamander on his own.

If you can post a picture, we can see if it's an axie or not.

K

kaysie

Jessica, what you got was a tiger salamander, not an axolotl.

Tigers are pretty cool! I have 2 of my own.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Some people genericly use the term axolotl to mean the larval form of any large ambystomid salamander. The most accepted use of the term axolotl is for an Ambystoma mexicanum. What you have probably is not an Ambystoma mexicanum. Axolotls in the U.S. rarely switch to land form. Saying an axolotl switches into a salamander is a misnomer. It is a salamander wether it is on land or in water.

jessica

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info you guys. Anything else you can think of???
bowl.gif
}

S

sarah

i bought blood worms for my salamander, it ate a bit, then stopped. but it ate too little and it hasn't eaten in days, i bought the little fellow a few days ago. is this normal? also, it seems bothered or maybe im just down right paranoid, i dont know how to satisfy it!HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1