URGENT! Water Ager - Can it be toxic?

R

row

I have been struggling with Miles, to keep him fit and healthy and have him in the fridge at the moment. Because of my daily water changes I ran out of water ager at an inconvenient time and had to get some from Big W as pet shops were closed.
When I got it home realised that the stuff is blue, and as it has no contents listing I couldn't check whether it had same ingredients of the old stuff.
After one day in this new stuff (Vita pet water ager) Miles now seems a little frantic and even a bit more wonky than usual.
Has anyone else out there experienced this?
Please help....any assistance gratefully appreciated!

I guess the short question is does anyone know if any water agers are toxic to axis?

I use that that sometimes when my petshop runs out, my normal one - aqua something - and this one seems to be a thinner liquid compared to the other.

I haven't really had a problem with it, but I fill my 10 litre bucket up and add the amount to it, then do my daily changes on my baby tubs after few hours.

Maybe you're using too much, or do you mix it in a bucket first then pour the amount you need into your fridge container.

And I just checked an empty bottle and you're right no ingredients, but then only one I can remember ever having ingredients listed is the stresscoat one with added aloe vera. This one doesn't have aloevera though; and don't think the aqua one does either.

In answer to your question, sorry sidetracked!, not sure but I think if you over dose instead of using the correct amount it might not be too good. Did you agitate the water when you added it?

Thankyou so much for responding Heihei!!! I was just contemplating what to do...
The first batch I used of it (the one he was in tonight when I noticed he was behaving quite erratically) I mixed in a ten litre bucket as per their instructions, added 2.5 mls and aggitated the water. The second lot which I had to change him to as I had nothing else, I mixed about 1.2 mls in five litres.
I know he was a little stressed out from temp changes in his tank (unfortunately i lost his mate Jacqui a day after they entered the fridge) but tonight he just seemed really unwell, wobbling from side to side almost upside down and I suddenly thought Oh my god what have I done! I had heard malachite blue or whatever that is is toxic for them, and I thought because this is meant for fish, maybe they had it in it or something.

Another question, does it matter mixing different brands of water ager in the tank?

I guess it probably only matters if this stuff is indeed toxic!

The reason I freaked is because usually he is so docile in the fridge that I can barely get a response from him, so it was weird to see him writhing all over the place!

Does your tap water contain chlorine or chloramine? If you are not sure, read the related questions here:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/FAQwat.shtml

Does the product claim to detoxify chlorine, chloramine, or both? If you have chloramine, but you are adding a product that only deals with chlorine, then the treated water will still be toxic.

When you change his water, do you use refrigerated water? If not, he could be reacting to the temperature shock.

Methylene blue is considered safe. It's malachite green that may be toxic to amphibs. What are you using?

Regarding mixing different brands of water ager, I think it could cause problems. I had 2 ager products that, when mixed, gave off a weird smell. When I changed from using one product to the other, I suppose that my tanks did contain a mixture of the products, and that didn't seem to be a problem.

I am not sure about the chloramine... I can only assume that our water would have it. It definitely has loads of chlorine, you can taste it! The new water ager I am using removes both.

As far as Methylene blue, I got myself confused...I used the malchite green once a long time ago under instruction for the pet shop but once having come to this site, I threw it away!

I use the same temp water, with same amount of water in each and check each time to make sure the temps are right before changing him over.

Maybe I panicked for no reason....he seems back to normal today. Maybe it could have been just an initial reaction to the change in product?

the stuff isnt toxic, i work at big w and i use it all the time. i am quite happy with it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back