Help in NewZealand!

S

sam

Ok, I am wondering how much one of these fellas would cost in New Zealand? If any one knows where I can purchase one from or who from, please say so.

Also, If I do manage to find a seller, How much would it cost to set up a tank? (once again in NZ dollers)

There are usually some on trademe, or most petshops sell them. In Auckland I have seen them ranging from $10ish each to $50+. Complete setup could range from say $100 to $1000s. Where in NZ are you?

Sam, if you definitely intend getting one (or 2) get your tank and bits sorted out first. You should be able to get tanks fairly cheaply 2nd hand on TM or Trade & Exchange (they're way cheaper in Auckland). Cycle your tank before you get your axies. See: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

You can make caves/hidey holes out of terracotta pipes/pots or bricks and/or pvc pipes...etc. If you go for sand option for substrate, you can get a 25kg bag from landscaping/garden place (or Bunnings) for $5.

Jennifer Macke posted another thread about permanent sand substrate here, which is good: www.caudata.org/forum/messages/793/77098.html?1169876760. Another axie owner, can't remember who, did something similar but using gravel pieces embedded into the silicone at the bottom of the tank.

Axies are priced, at petshops according to age/size. The smaller they are, 3-4 inches (approx $25) to adult sized 8-12 inches ($45); though they maybe more expensive in Auckland. There are a few breeders round top half of North Island, that are selling axies from $10-$50 (depending on type - goldens sell higher end of the scale); but also some further south that are willing and quite used to shipping axolotls round the country at a reasonable price.

You may even find that someone wants to sell axolotls, tank and whole setup which could make it quite cheap for you (my sister bought four of her axies with complete tank/decos/gravel /filter setup - 2 3ft tanks for $60-$70 a piece total - tho she used sand rather than the gravel provided)

I know I got my whole set up for around $150, and I got 2 axies. Still have to get the ammonia test though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back