New axies - some questions

J

jo

We got 2 new axies last week. We had the tank set up and going for about 2 weeks before.

Neither would eat for a few days, now one won't stop eating whenever he can... but the other has only had the tinniest bit of food. We are feeding them beef heart cubes (quarter at a time - the plan is a half, 3 times a week).

Both were a little shy to start, so instead of feeding them by hand, we threaded with cotton and moved it above their heads. The one that doesn't feed looks healthy enough (though a week really isn't much time to gauge, I presume), but just doesn't seem interested in the food at all. Should we be worried yet, or give them more time to settle before we stress?

You had your tanks set up for 2 weeks which is not enough time for your tank to cycle. Read the following link: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

The two main things that you have to worry about are tank temperature and water quality, at this stage. These two will effect your axies.

Firstly water quality . Make sure you read the above article, its extremely important. Your tank is currently going through a cycle, which can take several weeks. Setting it up for 2 weeks doesn't do anything unless you borrowed old filter media from an established tank to kickstart the cycle.

Once you added your axies, effectively, you started to cycle your tank, through feeding them and the axolotl waste produced. This can lead to unsafe levels of ammonia, which need to be controlled through daily waterchanges (at least 20-30) until your tank is cycled.

Don't add chemicals or other stuff that will fix/bind/clear up the ammonia or nitrite as this will stuff your cycling up.

Hope you're not confused!

How often are you doing water changes? If once a week, start doing it daily - this will keep it safe for your axies to live in it. Also get the tankwater tested at a petshop and get the results and keep a record of it, or buy freshwater test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and test it yourself regularly.

Also, when you feed them, do you clean out any waste, if found, or uneaten food straight away (within an hour if there's any left over)? The best daily spot cleaner to invest in is a turkey baster, you can suck up all the nitty gritty bits!

What is your tank temperature? Axolotls do prefer cooler temperatures, so you need to try and keep it well below 24C, preferably below 20C to keep them stress free.

Ideally, axolotls prefer earthworms if you can get them. YOu shouldn't use meat as a staple, but if you can't find worms, try bloodworm cube (they're frozen and need to be thawed and rinsed before placing in tank, some people place on a plate/small glass candle holder in their tank as it can get buried in their substrate); live crickets; or alternatively, raw fish, raw meat (ox heart/snitzel/beef/ox liver/chicken/sheep heart/liver cut into thin wormlike strips - cut all fat and tendons off b4 feeding).

I feed my babies live food, just throw it in and they catch it (but they're small and eat live bloodworm, mozzy larvae, daphnia, baby earthworms). I feed my sister's earthworms but I know she occasionally will feed hers thin strips of ox heart. You don't have to handfeed you can try using long tweezers or try dropping it above them or try a bamboo skewer (probably won't work with the cube tho,but work's great with worms, as they're long enough to squirm round; and axies don't get skewered you soon get used to angling the stick so they just grab the food!)

The lack of appetite could be a combination of settling in, the tank temperature and water quality.

Hi, Jo's partner here.
I'm currently at work, but after browsing around this site and the links around, i think it's in my best interest to run across the road to the pet store at lunch time and grab some nitrate/nitrite/ammonia test kits.

I'll test and change some of the water 2nite. Stupid question, but should i test the nitrate etc. BEFORE or AFTER changing the water?

And a quick question to Heihei... you mention that beef shouldn't be used as a staple diet, but then go on to say "alternatively, raw fish, raw meat (ox heart/snitzel/beef/ox liver/chicken/sheep heart/liver" So im a little confused as to what you mean here.

Thanks for the detailed answer anyhow! much appreciated!}}

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting jo heys on Monday 29 January 2007 - 23:18 (#POST119437):</font>

And a quick question to Heihei... you mention that beef shouldn't be used as a staple diet, but then go on to say "alternatively, raw fish, raw meat (ox heart/snitzel/beef/ox liver/chicken/sheep heart/liver" So im a little confused as to what you mean here. <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Sorry, I probably wasn't the clearest on that I meant the beef cubes should be alternated with other food and not fed as a sole/primary food. Basically what Jennifer said!

(Message edited by heihei on January 30, 2007)

K, thanks.. and in process...

I prob should have thought to do all this since reading many other links about a week ago.

I find it weird that aquarium owners and books don't outline this info...

Many books I've seen do outline the cycling process and basics of water quality. I have books about fish, and about amphibians, that talk about it. Look for better books
wink.gif
It's unfortunately true that the majority of aquarium owners (and pet shop employees) either don't know this stuff, or don't bother to share the information.

Process on the way and slow changes are happening. :)

Rose ate again today, and is getting easier to handle - maybe it is just taking a bit longer to feel settled. Foley is his normal hungry self.

We will get there... Good thing is they aren't showing any obvious signs of stress at this stage. Time will tell I suppose.

I find it incredible (and criminal) that the shops that sell these animals do not give you all the information (or even a starting place of where to find info) needed to humanly keep these beautiful creatures. The pet shop mine were purchased from told me I probably wouldn't need a heater (considering the tank temp was 26!!!!! i think they WERE right about that) but mentioned nothing of the fact that they need cool temperatures!!!!

Sorry, rant aside, how do you manage your tank temp in sunny ACT? It must be hot at the moment!

It is sunny here, but our unit is usually very nice temperature wise. Never too hot.

They are at the back of a large living area that faces morning sun, but they are actually in between the kitchen and there, on a half wall ledge, so air flow is nice around that area.

I can't believe it either! The first place I went to said I needed a heater too! Then when I actually got the tank and all, I specifically asked what I need to do/consider other than food and cleaning etc, and they said nothing. In fact they said I could get my axies a day after I set my tank up and put water in, and said nothing about testing.

Luckily they did not have 2 axies till two weeks after. In that time I got pH right, but at that stage had no idea about cycling etc etc. I tried my best to do the right thing, but you can only do what you can do... especially when the pet store says they are hardy creatures and don't need much in particular.

We are slowly getting things right...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back