New tank not good

A

angharad

I have recently moved my axolotl into a larger tank as I thought it would be easier to move when he was smaller. The water from the old tank ad the new tank had basically the same ph nitrate etc levels. The new tank is maybe three times bigger than the old one. It has plenty of plants (plastic) a couple of ornaments and the same large pebbles I used in the old tank. However I have not put the gravel I had in before as we were worried it would be too heavy for the cabinet and could break. I'm worried because I put him in the other night and he as nervous to begin with but by now I have seen him just about everywhere. I'm concerned the filter is too strong for him as the old one was weaker but that one never bothered him. He is off his food but seems to be ok wandering about. His tail isn't curved (as I have heard this is a sign of stress) and his gills are the same as they used to be. He does a strange thing sometimes though when he is just sitting still (and I saw him doing this in the small tank too) where his gills are normal then he suddenly flaps them back just ne then returns them to the normal position. He doesn't do it that often but I am worried it could be bad as this is my first and only axolotl. He normally eats dried bloodworm scattered at the top and some dead worms that are specifically for reptiles/amphibians. He will normally eat 1-3 worms a day and a few bloodworms if he hasn't eaten many worms. We are thinking of getting some frozen bloodworm too. I'm also wondering if maybe I should put the old filter into the bigger tank just till he is fully grown as he isn't a year old yet and this might encourage him to come to te top and eat some food. If the occasional gill flapping is due to ow oxygen levels could you tell me and I will get one of those air stones. Could someone tell me if they make lots of noise/bubbles and I fear this might upset him more. Thanks for reading all this and please give me some advice, I love the little guy and would hate for anything to happen to him.

Flapping the gills once and a while is normal. What kind of filter is it? How big is the new tanks? If you think the filter is to strong you can put some thing in front of it to break up the flow. How long has he been in the new tank? Some times they might not eat for a couple days if they are a little stressed. Thats normal also. Do you have any pictures?

yeh man theyre like the slackest animal out (next to the sloth). instead of moving to keep water going thru their gills, they just move their gills, SLACK AS! I have my air pump connected to one of those long bubbler rods, they cost about $20 for a 2 foot one, the axies love it, race through it etc!!

If you are worried about the noise of a bubbler, you can get some live plants they will help put oxygen in the water.

Thanks for your help everyone, I am getting a bubbler thingy tomorrow and he has started eating his food again (yay!)
happy.gif
Cant upload any photos sorry, I've got some but apparently they're all too big and my computer is too rubbish to make them smaller.

Does anyone know how you feed frozen bloodworms, I went out and bought some but they're these big cubes, too big for my axie to eat in one, should I just drop it in and he'll nibble it or should I cut it up or am I going in completely the wrong direction?

i have the same things with cubes, i cut mine up, i give him a quarter every night.

You can thaw the cube in a bowl, then just add the amount of bloodworms the axie eats and throw away the rest. Or cut the cube before it thaws, then you don't have to waste the uneaten part. In either case, it's a good idea to thaw it first and don't put the "red liquid" into the tank.

fluffing gills is just a way of clearing stale water, as to blood worm you can stick them to the glass under the water or you could teach them to hand feed and take it from your fingers, just make sure your hands are clean and wash your hands afterwards.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back