Axolotl Food

J

john

Hello all!

I was just wondering what people generally fed axolotls and at what frequency?

Went to the pet shop and they tried to make me buy axolotl food which was hell expensive. Is it worth it or just a gimik?

John

na u dont realy need the expensive axolotl food u can just feed them worms beef heart pellets and other stuff u shouldnt realy need to spend alot on axolotl food

Hi there, i feed our hungry teenager axies quite a variety... earth worms ( from axie's own worm farm), raw pieces of whatever we are having for tea- i.e: schnitzel, beef,fish, otherwise raw liver. have pellets but don't like giving them something so hard to swallow- it looks painful for them unless i soak them first!

you can also feed a variety of bugs, i give my axies crickets and slugs every now and then. worms are great as they cost nothing and are perfect for a staple diet.

I've had my axolotls for about 2 months now and when I bought them the shop told me to feed them once a week only. After reading all the posts on here I'm not sure if I should feed them more often. How often would you experienced Axo keepers suggest. I have no idea how old they are, but they are about 10cm long if that helps.

At 10cm we fed ours once a day. Once they reached 15cm, we fed every 2 days. Ours now range from 22-30cm and get fed once every 2/3days.

For 10-cm axies, I would feed 2-3 times per week. They are big enough that they don't need to be fed every day, but once a week is too little.

Thanks for the advice all, I will definatley feed them more often from now on!
happy.gif

Do axies eat vegatables like some fish do? and if so is it good for them or is there any adverse effects? I was thinking of try cucumber or celery which is what I used to give my fish and snails when I had them.

While in the wild, they may accidently consume some vegetation by accident, axolotls cannot digest most vegetation so it is not a suitable food for them.

Ed

(Message edited by ed on June 22, 2006)

Hi our axies are 20cms x 1.5cm (9months old) and we feed them every other day, but not sure how much were feeding them is right. We feed them freeze dried white strimp (about a cm big x 0.5cm)and freeze dried river shrimp which is 2cm x 1cm big. we try to alternate the food every other day so prob feed 5 0r 6 of white strimp or river shrimp on each sitting. Is this enough. I would love ideas for other types of food. I do not want to feed them live food! Does any one know where i can get salmon pellets in england???

Also one of my axies has gone off her food..she had fungus a few weeks ago which has now cleared up, but her appeiete has not come back...what should i do....she is on sand not gravel (changed 3 weeks ago)

I'm not sure what the best axolotl pellets are in England, hopefully someone there can answer that. You can try any kind of carnivore pellets made for fish.

The other non-live food I would recommend are frozen bloodworms. Despite the name, they are not worm, just a kind of insect larva that resembles large red mosquito wigglers. Shrimp is not a bad food, but it would be good to vary it.

I personally use bait pellets, soft by dynamite baits. Amano originals.
Spyyk seems to like them, they smell strongly and she catches them easily.

She also gets frozen bloodworm/brineshrimp fed to her in a bowl, and dendrobaena earthworms (purged with a 20 min soak in water). She gets all manner of treats, such as well soaked plain ham and a nibble of roast chicken (she tends to go crazy for chicken!) too.

I'm thinking about ordering some proper axolotl pellets from Germany after Christmas - if I buy several I can save on the postage, so do you think anyone would be interested? Seeing as I don't need six tubs at the same time...
If so, I'll find out how much it'd cost.
happy.gif

i feed my 4 axies fish, prawns, mussels, octopus, squid, crickets, meal worms, earthworms and occasionally beef and they love everything. i go to my local supermarket to the seafood section and get the seafood medley (of course all raw) and then freeze it into small bags, then once a week i defrost the bag and they get a variety, i also freeze my crickets so that i can cut the head, legs and spikes of them for easier digestion, meal worms are live until i cut the heads off prior to feeding and earthworms are cut to size when feeding too

we feed our 3 axolotls on,dillies(fish),blood worm,earthworm,shrimps,meal worms and white worm. meal worms and blood worm is there favorite

i use bloodworm blocks, also carp and trout pellets. trout pellets are quite strong smelling but they are high in fats so i just use a few to attract them to where the pellets are. where as carp pellets don't smell and are healthier for them.
i feed mine every two to three days depending on how hungry they are.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back